Successful candidates will:
- Have extensive experience leading system/design/software Fault Tree Analysis (FTA), Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA), Functional Hazard Analysis (FHA), Hazard Analysis and Risk Assessment (HARA), or other risk assessments from inception.
- Have a successful track record of creating and improving standards for broader adoption and use.
- Be knowledgeable about safety critical system design and validation, and ideally familiar with fail-operational system architectures in vehicles or spacecraft.
- Understand statistical analysis methods and potential pitfalls regarding data sampling and quality.
- Consistently demonstrate creativity, practicality, and maturity in approaching system safety
- Be comfortable in environments with technical diversity and parallel development paths. Experience within a startup, focused research initiative, special project group, or other non-traditional engineering environment is highly desirable.
- Have the professionalism and expertise required to blaze a trail where clear industry or regulatory guidance does not currently exist
- Have demonstrated experience working on large software systems
Prior experience may include:
- Building novel safety cases and concepts for sophisticated automation, robotics, vehicles, and/or other cyber-physical systems
- Training engineering teams and building relationships in support of safety processes and culture
- Making/defending smart judgements and policy regarding residual system risk
- Adapting traditional safety processes to unique new technology applications, e.g.,
- Tailoring functional safety standards such as ISO 26262 to highly automated driving
- Applying standards/principles such as IEC 61508 (Functional Safety), DO-178 (178B or 178C - Safety Critical Software in Airborne Systems), Systems Theoretic Process Analysis (STPA), Radiation Safety “As Low As Reasonably Achievable (ALARA) etc. from another industry (e.g., aerospace, defense, medical) to a new or non-conventional domain.
About the Team
At the Advanced Technologies Group (ATG), we are building technologies that will transform the way the world moves. Our teams in Pittsburgh, San Francisco, and Toronto are dedicated to mapping, software and hardware development, vehicle safety, and operations for self-driving technology. Our teams are passionate about developing a self-driving system that will one day move people and things around more safely, efficiently, and cost effectively.
At Uber, we believe technology has the power to make transportation more efficient, accessible, and safer than ever before. Self-driving technology has the potential to make these benefits an everyday reality for our customers, but it’s not going to happen overnight. Building best-in-class self-driving technology will take time, and safety is our priority every step of the way. Operating inclusively and transparently, while displaying responsible behavior in a structured development are critical to safety. We at ATG seek candidates who will role model these values.