The Geocoding team is building out the geospatial indexing and ranking platform to enable spatial localization of users, as well as to provide suggestions for pickup locations. We aim to leverage the rich Maps data to tailor reverse geocoding to Uber’s use-cases, as well as the telemetry data from the device to semantically identify where our riders are requesting from. Being able to better localize our riders enables us to suggest better rendezvous points, thereby resulting in the perfect pickup experience!
We are a very small team of engineers responsible for determining the origin of all trips worldwide. We’re looking for a backend engineer to help us build out this platform and scale it to the tens of thousands of queries we receive every second. You will be working with some of the world's most experienced mapping professionals, data scientists, programmers, and research scientists on a very user-facing product. This is your chance to develop cutting-edge technology that will make a huge impact on the efficiency of every Uber trip!
Here are the skills we are looking for:
- Strong computer science fundamentals.
- Strong programming skills (we mainly use Java & Python).
- Experience in the fields of Information Retrieval, Search, Ranking, Machine Learning.
- Experience with large data processing pipelines, distributed data stores, map-reduce, and distributed file systems.
- Architecture chops. You should have opinions on constructing software systems and good knowledge of the principles of scalability, fault-tolerance, reliability and durability.
- Experience designing and deploying high performance production services with robust monitoring and logging practices.
- Passion and a desire to learn!
- Bonus points if you have worked with geospatial data or built geospatial services and have experience with Lucene and similar search systems.
Why join us:
- Teammates. You would be working with sharp, motivated teammates in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
- Impact. This is a ground floor opportunity with the team, and you will be part of shaping the strategic direction of the company.
- Data. Uber is a very data driven company and the large volume of data we get from millions of riders and trips daily provides endless opportunities for machine learning and data analysis.
- High scalability engineering. Building world class engineering for high throughput and low latency distributed systems. We take ownership in creating elegant and reliable code.
- Fun problem solving. We love solving challenging problems and building things that have never been built before.