About Health Catalyst
Health Catalyst has been named as one of the 30 Best Workplaces in Technology by Fortune Magazine and a winner of Gallup Great Workplace award. Health Catalyst earned the highest overall score in Healthcare BI by KLAS and, for the sixth year in a row, was named to the Best Places to Work in Healthcare list by Modern Healthcare. Health Catalyst analyzes healthcare records of almost a third of the US population (65 million patients) and recently released the first open source software for healthcare machine learning: healthcare.ai.
Health Catalyst’s platform and applications are being used at leading health systems including, John Muir Health, UPMC, MultiCare Health System, Partners HealthCare, Banner Health, Stanford Hospital & Clinics, Texas Children’s Hospital, and over 40 others. Health Catalyst products and services are utilized in over 400 hospitals and 4000 clinics, supporting over 90 million patients.
In line with its mission to achieve massive, sustained healthcare outcome improvements, Health Catalyst recently launched a new Life Science Business Unit based in Cambridge, MA, that will develop solutions to support the rapidly changing world of research, development and commercialization in the life sciences industry including, but not limited to drug development, medical devices, digital therapeutics, risk-based contracting. Health Catalyst aims to stand out in this rapidly expanding market by focusing on solutions for the life sciences industry that ensure improved health outcomes both at provider and patient level. The new Business Unit will support the life science industry and regulators to improve probability of R&D pipeline success, optimize clinical trial design and enrollment, and perform post-launch RWD retrospective studies. Health Catalyst aims to become a leading provider of real-world insights that will allow the industry to ground their decisions in real-time, ethical access to massive, high quality data across all therapeutic indications to tackle unmet medical needs and further improve outcomes for patients. Crucially, by leveraging the deep relationship built over time with 400+ hospitals reaching out to 100M+ patients Health Catalyst can go beyond data aggregation and data crunching, developing engaging provider and patient-facing solutions with the Life Sciences industry, to obtain deeper, richer insights.
Our team lives the cultural attributes of Smart, Hardworking and Humble. Learn more about working at Health Catalyst here: https://www.healthcatalyst.com/company/careers/key-health-catalyst-values.
The Head of Life Sciences Revenues will be responsible for leading the revenue strategy, business development, marketing and sales activities of this new Business Unit. The candidate will work closely with existing corporate departments at Health Catalyst such as Marketing, Corporate Development and Finance to build a strategy that drives the success of the Business Unit while leveraging internal expertise as needed. She/he will have deep knowledge and expertise of all business models that drive data the utilization of novel data sources and analytical models, and will work closely with product development and technology teams within the BU and across the company.
The candidate should have:
- Extensive experience in the sales and marketing models of data across the pharmaceutical organization from R&D and epidemiology through clinical trials to commercial launch including on-going commercial strategy and patient support services, with a particular focus on developing predictable, recurring revenue models, and understanding the right balance required across products and services to deliver successfully in this space.
- A deep understanding of pharma-level unmet needs and working knowledge of companies that commercialize data and services to the life science industry
- Proven experience working with multi-disciplinary teams building successful go-to-market strategies, managing and advancing sales pipeline, and evangelizing core differentiators
The role requires:
- Working closely with the SVP of the life science BU to understand Health Catalyst’s current product and service capabilities to inform the candidate’s creation of the best strategy for launching platform/product(s)/service(s) into the life science market
- Developing a framework and working model to continually assess de-novo product development opportunities, as well as areas to leverage historic product development efforts
- Creating a comprehensive go-to-market strategy including:
- Mapping and ranking by priority potential customers with an understanding of each organizations’ needs, requirements and buying process
- Identifying C-suite and executive relationships required within each target client
- Ability to create and execute effective marketing initiatives with measureable ROI
- Influencing and helping to define the product line based on understanding clients unmet needs, and the path to develop further offerings (buy, build, partner)
- Collaborating with the SVP to build a strategy for 2019 including areas of focus
- Building out a team sustainably as P&L expands to execute on the go-to-market strategy, identifying and attracting talent that is able to deliver on HealthCatalyst’s unique vision and approach in this space
- Creating specific ARR goals across the different opportunities
- Creating key value propositions for all relevant stakeholders, including providers and health systems
- Ability to present to C-Suite clients as well as Health Catalyst’s Board with periodic updates on progress as needed
The role has great potential for a successful candidate to demonstrate breadth and skill through the execution of the entire commercial strategy for a new Business Unit which is foreseen to have significant impact on patient lives and outcomes. The role will be based in Cambridge, MA with regular travel to Salt Lake City, UT where Health Catalyst is headquartered as well as client sites domestically and internationally.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Identify and characterize in-depth relevant market segments and opportunities across the life sciences (pharma, biotech, medical device companies, regulators). Leverage customer research (quantity and quality) to provide strategic leadership for brand architecture and positioning.
- Develop and execute a go to market strategy, including identification of the top 20 target customers with top 10 priorities, best contacts to reach within each customer, strategy for reaching these individuals, plan for transitioning a starting project to a land and expand strategy, checklist and process for monitoring progress at each customer, and KPIs for each contract, including both commercial and health outcome KPIs. This go to market plan should be backed by rigorous methodology.
- Build internal capabilities as needed to execute on the strategy, i.e. build internal sales team for products and services that are available, work with product team on new products, collaborate with Health Catalyst’s marketing and corporate development teams to leverage their capabilities.
- Create a standardized outreach for current and future clients and coordinate its implementation across sales channels, client management, and marketing and communications. Identify the top areas for potential weakness or failure and devise a plan for mitigation
- Build in depth knowledge of market pricing models and develop and maintain competitive and accurate pricing models across products and services. Actively participate in contract negotiations especially in first 1-2 years of role.
- Attract and retain talent for all roles that will become necessary as P&L expands, such as sales, marketing, operations, business intelligence.
- Grow, train, and manage sales team, including developing sales strategies and matrixes for analyzing sales performance. Develop and implement robust sales management processes – pipeline, account planning, and proposals.
- Develop growth strategy across products, services, partnerships, M&A activities while maintaining the focus on growth of health outcomes. Work with the head of unit, focusing on strategic and business planning, and be responsible to develop reasonable and thorough revenue and outcome projections for annual budgets and multi-year projections. Monitor the revenue pipeline and leads, adjusting as necessary to create sustainable growth.
- Establish and maintain excellent relationships with life science executives and channel partners, prospect and close relationships with key target clients. Oversee all Channel/Partner Development -- adding new sales channels and 3rd party resellers and partners
- Monitor the strategies and processes across the revenue cycle from customer acquisition to engagement to success
- Drive a “lean startup” style environment of constant experimentation and learning
- Coordinate with relevant Health Catalyst broader functions such as Corporate Development and Marketing and manage Life Sciences BU marketing, sales and operations functions
- Focus on both long- and short-term results. Tying in the short-term perspective of sales (driving quarterly results, prospecting, closing deals), as well as the long-term programs of revenue overall (marketing, business development, i.e. partnerships and M&As) and that of product development.
- Must have good understanding and experience in the life sciences and data domain
- Must have strong rolodex of Director, VP, and C Suite executives across pharma functional areas, such as Commercial, Therapeutic Area, Data Strategy, Clinical Trials, Corp Dev, Market Access, Med Affairs, HEOR, Bioinformatics, R&D, and Brand leaders.
- Proven experience of building and executing go-to-market strategies, sales, partnerships, M&A activities and the ability to understand which of the channels will yield better results for different market segments.
- Self-Starter, able to execute and implement change, with a strong passion for Health Catalyst’s mission, a motivator with highly energetic personality, critical thinker, that can inspire others, with very strong business acumen and perspective on the current landscape in this domain.
- Must have strong standing in the industry, able to establish and maintain excellent relationships and credibility quickly, create team atmosphere with internal staff while achieving key objectives, with excellent consulting skills as well as technical writing and public speaking skills
- A mature person capable to provide a good balance of risk taking and judgment, driving with passion the potential opportunity, while retaining wisdom in maintaining true to an articulated go to market strategy.
- A strong communicator who can articulate the revenue strategy within the company, as well as articulate the value to providers and to life sciences clients.
- A person with strong emphasis on data and metrics to drive decision making, who will hold teams accountable by exhibiting fluency in data and tying performance to established metrics that determine sales and marketing success.
- Ability to mentor/train/educate others.
- Understanding of M&A preferable
Education & Relevant Experience
- Required: 10+ years of experience in the digital health/life sciences industries, with particular strength in commercializing into the pharma value chain.
- Required: proven experience of a diverse range of go-to-market strategies
- Required: proven experience in creating and implementing marketing & sales approaches, leading business development efforts, as well as strategic partnerships and merger & acquisition models
- Solid understanding of data-driven commercialization models, especially as it relates to health/life sciences
- Understanding of Real-World Data / Real-World Evidence business models
- Proven track record and established network of trusted executives in the life sciences industry
- Experience building high performing teams and mentoring staff
- Proven experience in delivering presentations to internal and external executive audiences
- Ability to galvanize networks as part of industry events
- Startup and management consulting / strategy consulting a plus
- Required - Bachelor’s degree in relevant degree
- Required – 10+ years industry experience
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed in this job function. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, and indeed additional responsibilities may be assigned by Health Catalyst.