The Data Pipeline Director will manage a team with the following focuses:
- Provide 1st level support for clients electing to pay for 24 X 7 Data Pipeline Support service from Health Catalyst
- Develop processes around the support for clients and engagement with other Platform teams
- Work with the TD for clients paying for this service and identify areas of opportunities to streamline the data pipelines and improve performance of the data pipelines
- Identify ways to improve the data pipeline support process and develop tools to help improve the support and process
Duties & Responsibilities
- Technical expert – Work closely with the Platform Engineering teams and Technical Directors and other Technology teams. Aid in guiding platform engineering teams with client feedback and own personal findings to provide improvements and enhancements to the platform
- Excellent Troubleshooting Skills with an emphasis identifying Root Cause of Issues – Dig deep on load issues and identify where the issues are and identify possible bugs with the Data Engine.
- Excellent Performance Tuning Skills – Identify cause of long running queries and identify ways to improve and tune those queries.
- 24 x 7 Data Pipeline OnCall Rotation – Will participate in 24 x 7 OnCall rotation with team and will receive extra compensation for being OnCall.
- Define and Improve Processes around Support. Streamline processes, create knowledge base for data pipeline issues, and manage metrics around data pipeline support with emphasis to reduce tickets
- Develop new tools for Monitoring Data Pipelines – Identify tools and ways to streamline data pipeline processing and support.
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills with being able to dig deeper to identify software bugs and SQL Server/Azure performance issues and root cause the issue
- Excellent performance tuning skills and being able to identify how data pipelines can improve performance. Expert ability in reading and understanding SQL Server query plans.
- Advanced decision-making skills. Can assimilate complex information to understand core issues, and identify which way to proceed to try to alleviate queries from not completing on time for their SLA.
- Strong communication skills; ability to anticipate, diffuse and/or manage conflict resolution among Catalyst employees and client teams
- Deep technical skills around SQL Server and Azure including ability to understand, develop, and troubleshoot C# code.
- Ability to mentor/train/educate others.
- Ability to independently learn new software tools/technologies quickly.
Education & Relevant Experience
- Required - Bachelor’s degree, preferably in related field such as computer science/information systems or demonstrated equivalent work experience.
- Preferred - Graduate degree in related field (e.g., MCS, MIS, MBA with focus on IS).
- Required: Combination of 5+ years’ work experience in data warehousing technologies and/or Software Development technologies such as C#, PowerShell, SQL, Hadoop/Spark, Azure, ETL.
- 2 – 4 years healthcare data experience preferred.
- 2+ years agile methodology experience preferred.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed in this job function. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, and indeed additional responsibilities may be assigned by Health Catalyst.