Senior Product Manager - Elevate Cloud Services at Uber
San Francisco, CA, US
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let’s move the world forward, together.
About the Role:
On-demand aviation has the potential to radically improve urban mobility, giving people back time lost in their daily commutes. Just as skyscrapers allowed cities to use limited land more efficiently, urban air transportation will use three-dimensional airspace to alleviate transportation congestion on the ground. A network of small, electric aircraft that take off and land vertically (called VTOL aircraft for Vertical Take-off and Landing, and pronounced vee-tol), will enable rapid, reliable transportation between suburbs and cities and, ultimately, within cities. These vehicles will be managed by a highly automated set of complex services called the Elevate Cloud Services (ECS). We are looking for someone to own product management for the Elevate Cloud Services, based in San Francisco/Palo Alto.
What You'll Do:
- Develop the detailed product descriptions for the Elevate Cloud Services (ECS) and their product elements, including operational user interfaces, pilot and rider apps, air traffic services, flight planning services, etc.
- Develop deep expertise on the hardware, software, operations, regulatory, and policy issues impacting Uber Elevate and the Elevate Cloud Services;
- Distil the long-term vision and strategy for developing the ECS at Uber, and build the roadmap and associated milestones to develop all products forming the ECS;
- Understand the near-term opportunities and commitments related to pilot programs with the FAA and NASA as well as other industry partners and make sure the near term ECS development for these programs tracks towards the far-term vision;
- Collaborate with the Elevate teams on operations, vehicles, data science, and batteries to understand their product needs and include those into the ECS product roadmap;
- Coordinate the product development with the ECS Director of Engineering and the ECS Engineering Manager (TBH);
- Lead/work with product managers that are focused on individual product components, such as the FLUX analyzer
- Work with business partners internally to develop creative solutions to thorny software and hardware challenges.
What You'll Need:
- Deep interest in aviation and, ideally experience with aviation or robotics/hardware (preferred but not required)
- A computer science undergraduate degree or equivalent plus hands-on software engineering experience. Technical understanding must go from the highest abstractions down to the metal.
- 2-5 years experience delivering highly successful and innovative consumer Internet products with your fingerprints all over them - you're extremely proud of what you've accomplished
- Stellar design instincts and product taste
- Excellent skills and a track record in organization, roadmapping, prioritization and tracking
- A high bar across the board - from your own contributions to the people you work with to the products you work on.
- A "driver" personality - biased toward action, great collaborator and master disambiguator/simplifier - constantly pushing toward clarity and delivery.
- Finger-tippiness with data: you just go get the data you need with no muss/fuss and can whip it into an insightful story with no help. You know how to leverage data to make decisions without getting stuck in analysis paralysis.
- Rider-centricity - examples from your past of tough product challenges that you powered through because you were unwilling to make your problems your riders' problems.
- True passion for Uber's mission and the company's hybrid technology / operations nature.
- A never-ending desire to grow and learn.
About the Team:
The ECS development has been kick-started by the airspace systems team, the core software engineering team on Uber Elevate — our initiative to fast forward to ridesharing in the sky, i.e. urban aviation. The vision of the airspace systems team is to enable safe, reliable, large-scale and efficient airspace operations for Uber Elevate. In order to accomplish this vision, the team works in coordination with other relevant teams and stakeholders within Elevate (particularly Vehicles, Operations, Design and Data Science), and Uber’s core dispatch, marketplace, and security teams as our systems become operational and integrated. The team is based in Palo Alto and San Francisco.