Engineering Manager, Offboard Routing & Navigation (Self-Driving) at Uber
San Francisco, CA, US
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let’s move the world forward, together.
About the Role
The Routing & Navigation team at Uber ATG builds offboard systems and tools to route self-driving vehicles along the road network to their destinations. This problem space is more challenging and dynamic than routing for human drivers, as self-driving vehicles have limited capabilities compared to people which dramatically affects their routes and ETAs. Furthermore, as we will be deploying a mixed fleet of vehicles including those built by third-party partners (e.g., Daimler and Toyota), each with different capabilities, our routing stack will need to support returning different routes for different vehicles.
We're building the packet-switched network for the physical world, and routing is at the core of it.
What You’ll Do
- Develop innovative solutions for challenging problems with scalable, production quality software
- Get hands-on experience working with self-driving vehicles - interacting and shaping robotics technology!
- Compute the routes of a mixed fleet of self-driving vehicles on the Uber network, incorporating vehicle capabilities and operational constraints
- Optimize marketplace efficiency by computing ETAs for self-driving vehicles as compared to human drivers, and incorporating that data into dispatch
- Design partner-facing APIs and data models to communicate mapping, routing, and capability data between self-driving vehicles and the cloud, as well as to negotiate routes when there are multiple options
What You’ll Need
- 5 Minimum Years of Experience with large scale distributed systems.
- 2+ years of people management experience.
About the Team
At the Advanced Technologies Group (ATG), we are building technologies that will transform the way the world moves. Our teams in Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Phoenix, and Toronto are dedicated to mapping, software and hardware development, vehicle safety, and operations for self-driving technology. Our teams are passionate about developing a self-driving system that will one day move people and things around more safely, efficiently, and cost effectively.