ABOUT THE ROLE:
Economists at Udemy are tasked with challenging marketplace design and analysis in a two-sided marketplace context, spanning behavioral economics/pricing, microeconomics, and macroeconomics (because of our global presence). The Senior Marketplace Economist will own economic modelling and analysis within the newly formed pricing team that sits in the larger marketing org and works across the business. Your work will improve monetization of the core product, as well as lead to creation of new products well suited to the marketplace. You will be involved in major pricing model restructuring initiatives from fine-tuning algorithmic pricing strategies for the current marketplace, to creating new promotional pricing strategies for markets and products that don’t currently exist. You will also be involved in creating entirely new monetization paths, supply side relationship optimization, and using applied economics principles in every aspect of the business.
You have a bias for action, you can work cross functionally and seamlessly with Data Science to conduct and own economic research, experimentation; with product and engineering to build systems to support your ideas, with our demand and supply side marketing teams to implement those ideas. You are also comfortable with frequently presenting and sharing your vision with the company in general. Most importantly, you are relentlessly rigorous in your analysis, find difficult intellectual problems impossible to resist, and are an excellent and influential thinker; if you can balance empathy and efficiency, can build innovative ways of thinking about our unique marketplace, and are hungry to build and own a crucial piece of the revenue-value-chain of a global, rapidly growing business, then this job is for you.
Here’s what you’ll be doing:
- Working cross functionally with data science and engineering teams to test hypotheses using A/B as well as field experiments in pricing, promotions, product, marketing or policy changes.
- Designing, conducting and analyzing tests with special attention to different global circumstances and practises, as well as macroeconomic factors
- Working within the Pricing Strategy team as one of the marketplace experts to translate economic findings into clear operational actions.
- Using your training as an economist, you will support other teams across the company with deep problems that they are grappling with. Potential areas of collaboration include marketplace design to diversify the instructor/supply pipeline, mechanisms for matching students with content, reputation via ratings or social proof systems.
- Using economic research and econometric methods to build a deeper understanding of the rules underpinning our marketplace and the best ways to optimize them to benefit students, instructors and the company.
- Collaborating influentially with functional area teams such as Marketing, Product, and Finance
- Participate in discussions involving global market research, trends and opportunities, competitive landscape, business models and GTM strategies to assist in the development of business cases
We’re excited about you because you have:
- Ph.D in economics ( OR an undergrad background in quantitative economics + Masters in a related discipline + 3-5 years of industry experience with economic modeling)
- Leadership and cross-functional collaboration skills are essential
- Work history demonstrating initiation, execution, and most importantly concluding small and large scale projects is essential
- The ability to consider and conduct research on different geographies.
- Familiarity with on-site testing methodologies, lifecycle LTV modeling techniques, analytics
- Proficiency with analytical tools like R, Stata, Python etc
- Familiarity with relational databases and SQL
- Ability to work in a fast moving business environment.
- Ability to identify, initiate and prioritize economic analysis and research projects which will directly have an impact on marketplace health or long term value.
- Effective verbal and written communications skills.
- You are creative, resourceful, detail-oriented, and highly organized
- You have a passion for online learning, and a desire to create opportunities that will change lives through teaching and learning globally
With a mission to improve lives through learning, Udemy is a global marketplace for learning and teaching online. More than 24 million students learn from an extensive library of over 80,000 courses taught by 35,000 instructors in over 50 languages. Whether learning for professional development or personal enrichment, students can master new skills through self-paced, on-demand courses, while instructors have a way to share their knowledge with the world. For companies, Udemy for Business offers subscription access to a collection of business-relevant courses as well as a simple platform to host and distribute their own content in one central place.
We’re a close-knit bunch that enjoys problem-solving and collaboration, and we share a serious commitment to delivering the best possible learning and teaching experiences. Udemy’s culture encourages innovation, creativity, passion, and teamwork. We also celebrate our milestones and support each other every day.
Founded in 2010, Udemy is privately owned and headquartered in San Francisco’s SOMA neighborhood with offices in Dublin, Ireland, Sao Paulo, Brazil, and Ankara, Turkey. Compensation includes full-time salary, equity compensation plan, and competitive benefits including healthcare, commuter benefits, parental leave, and a discretionary time off policy.
Udemy in the News: