Thermal Engineer at WorldView
Tucson, AZ, US
World View is on the brink of writing history. We're creating unprecedented access to the near-space environment for purposes ranging from life-changing travel experiences to scientific research/education, and everything in between. It takes an incredible team to turn dreams into reality. We're already doing it, but we're always looking for others that share our passion for tackling big ideas and changing the world in the process. We believe in hiring the best, brightest, and most passionate people on earth. We're a small, agile company looking for people ready to contribute to something greater than themselves. We think big. We think different. We're not fond of mediocrity. We're pioneers charting new territory, opening access to near space, and writing history in the process.
World View is looking for a Thermal Engineer with experience in spacecraft thermal engineering as well as convective and conductive heat transfer relevant to the environment in which our systems fly. This individual will be responsible for developing system-level thermal models of World View’s products, defining thermal management systems and operations schemas, and defining thermal requirements for lower level subsystems and units. The candidate should be well versed in radiant heat transfer, coatings, thermal blankets, optical solar reflectors, and thermal management system architectures.
- Develop and maintain system level thermal models of World View’s products in their operating environment including upwelling IR, albedo, conduction and convection.
- Develop thermal management solutions for World View’s vehicles, including defining architectures, performance and major component selection.
- Maintain thermal budgets and allocations for subsystems and units.
- Assist subsystem and unit leads with thermal analysis and testing, as needed.
- Develop verification plans for World View’s thermal environment requirements and review/approve verification plans at the subsystem and unit level for allocated thermal budget requirements.
- Proficiency in Thermal Engineering fundamentals, as demonstrated by coursework or previous experience.
- Familiarity with thermal engineering tools such as ANSYS, SINDA or Thermal Desktop
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines
- Strong communication skills
- Minimum of a B.S. in related engineering field (aerospace, mechanical, etc) with relevant coursework in heat transfer and thermal modeling, plus 5 years of experience.
- M.S. in related field (aerospace, mechanical) with coursework in heat transfer and thermal modeling, plus 2 years of experience desired.