What you’ll do
- Create and communicate an overall vision for quality within the company, setting goals and recommending organizational changes to achieve these goals.
- Communicate the company's quality system to internal customers.
- Create an environment conducive to continuous improvement and implement systems to support quality excellence.
- Promote collaboration and quality concepts throughout the company.
- Focus quality initiatives on a proactive rather a reactive structure.
- Develop and implement a strong foundation for Quality. This includes the development and execution of the Quality Manual.
- Grow and build a multi-faceted world class Quality organization capable of supporting multiple industries (including automotive, aerospace and consumer electronics).
- Grow the capabilities of the supplier quality and manufacturing quality teams.
- Utilize visual management tools to help drive improvements within the organization.
- Collaborate with Engineering to build quality into the product (i.e., DFQ).
- Participate in design reviews to assure product quality, manufacturability, reliability, ...etc. are implemented and executed.
- Support development of manufacturing equipment, controls and test plans to address risks identified in FMEA.
- Implement fundamental concepts into providing strong Quality focused processes for IQC, OQC, and IPQC.
- Collaborate with Engineering, Product, and Operations to measure and drive improvements in various Quality metrics.
- Train the organization on fundamental quality tools (Root cause analysis, 5 Why, RCCA, FMEAs, Six-sigma, SPC control, tools within the Lean 6 Sigma, poke-yoke...etc.).
- Deploy Quality tools (ex., RCCA/8D, Gauge R&R, FMEAs,...etc.) on active manufacturing projects.
- Familiarity with statistical tolerancing, Monte Carlo analysis and other methods to investigate the effects of part and process variability on system performance.
- Support process capability analyses to investigate the ability of suppliers and production processes to meet defined specifications and quality standards.
May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
What You'll Need
The ideal candidate will have 15+ years of Quality experience, 8 to 10 years of quality leadership exp with a track record of taking products from NPI to mass production.
S/He will have extensive experience building & growing a quality function. The Head of Quality will have experience leading Quality across sites & industries. S/He will bring experience derived from an Automotive/ Aeronautical/ High-Tech / Manufacturing/Consumer Electronics organization well-known and widely respected for world-class quality & manufacturing processes and practices.
Additionally, the Head of Quality will possess:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or analytical discipline required.
- ASQ or other Quality certifications.
- Proven experience implementing Quality Systems such as ISO 9001.
- Strong background and demonstrated success applying statistical methods to complex problems.
- Experience in taking products from NPI to mass production.
- Experience in PCBA and various mechanical and electrical manufacturing processes.
- Minimum 15 years of relevant experience in a technical environment.
- Minimum of 8 years experience in management and leadership roles.
- Experience in successfully leading a Quality function across multiple sites.
- Experience in successfully leading a Quality organization in multiple industries.
- Previous experience in building and growing a Quality organization.
- Excellent oral, written and presentation communication skills.
- Ability to travel 30% (or more) of the time
Preferred Education & Experience
- Master’s or PhD degree in a technical or science based field.
- Prior experience as a Director of quality function.
- Previous experience in leading Quality within the automotive, consumer electronics and/or aerospace.
- Minitab, JMP or other statistical software capabilities.
Leadership & Management Behavioral Competencies
- Possesses a passion for excellence with the ability to inspire others to the highest standards through leading by example.
- Committed to attracting and retaining the brightest minds from all backgrounds, while cultivating the power of a diverse organization.
- Demonstrates a primary, intense concern around leading and motivating others. Must be able to inspire and energize others to support the vision of Uber.
- A change agent and champion leading the product organization for the ongoing growth and transformation of Uber’s business.
- Solicits the involvement of the team in building a sense of ownership. Must have the confidence to act quickly and decisively when the market requires such agility.
- Inspires teams to accomplish goals and objectives; responds quickly to complex situations to problem solve, while effectively working across the organization, with customers and partners.
- A strategic forward-thinker with a participatory management style and team-building skills.
- A team player by nature, but a strong leader with an open and direct style.
- A strong communicator. The successful candidate will have maturity and empathy to resolve potential issues between technology and the core business working with multiple personalities.
- The successful candidate will bring, through past successes, immediate credibility as an extremely capable product leader.
- Able to balance the role of strategist with urgency while simultaneously managing delivering results in a growing and very fast-paced environment.
- An individual with emotional intelligence to attract world-class talent and to enable organizational competence in the midst of pervasive change.
- Proven track record of hiring, developing, and deploying top talent at all levels and an equal ability to consistently top-grade the organization while simultaneously reducing costs and cycle times.
- Ability to earn the confidence of the stakeholders and any external partners and effectively communicate, motivate, and inspire cross-functional teams with professionalism and clarity.
- Will possess exceptional analytical skills that will be necessary for driving a successful product management department and lead the business and product to the achievement of its financial goals.
- Possess a seemingly supernatural ability to make things happen around him/her.
- Skill in defining, leading, and managing change.
- Friendly, positive, engaging, and open personality.