Mist Systems is seeking a full-time Cloud Lead to join our talented team and build high quality technology solutions that revolutionize wireless networks, powered by Artificial Intelligence in the cloud. Mist provides services through SaaS applications to several Fortune 100 and Fortune 500 customers. You'll take ops projects from concept through to launch. You will be responsible for maintaining and improving the company's production environment for rapid scaling and outstanding performance. You will be responsible to help us keep stellar uptime and reliability. The improvements you implement will be felt by the entire organization.
For you to be successful, you need to have a hunger to learn and adapt to new technology quickly. We demand people who are naturally curious, can self-start and share learnings and outcomes effectively with a distributed team. You need to be a builder at heart.
- Express your passion about infrastructure as code and continuous deployment to build scalable and highly reliable systems.
- Partner with our developers and quality engineering teams to automate the monitoring, alerting, availability and scalability of our applications and systems.
- Assist in defining, implementing and enforcing of our security policy.
- Ensure system availability and business continuity by implementing redundant servers/services.
- Perform after-hours server updates and maintenance.
- Proactively research and propose use of new concepts, processes, technologies, and tools.
- Maintain legacy processes and tools while migrating to new tools and technologies.
- Document and educate team with latest patterns and practices.
- Partner with software developers to create Mist standards for Microservices (APIs, schemas, serialization, data stores and best practices)
- Run secure and scalable applications for highly available, multi-region, AWS deployments
- Ship code several times per week
- Be a part of our On-Call rotation.
- This is both a people management & tech management position where you will lead a team of experienced, smart engineers.
Experience required for you to be successful:
- An extensive background in developing and operating large-scale cloud-based distributed applications
- Direct experience developing/running applications on AWS and Google Cloud.
- Laser focus and be able to design infrastructure solutions for scalability, reliability, high availability, performance, security, software maintainability, and operational excellence
- The ability to "fix the plane while in flight" (not just support greenfield solutions)
- The ability to prioritize existing technical and infrastructure debt, and experience to build and execute a plan to pay it off
- Proven expertise working with others to drive alignment between architecture projects and product roadmap
- Delivering web-scale infrastructure for a global market at high release velocity
- Must have solid experience with at least 2 of the languages: Go, Java, NodeJS, Python
- Experience with Kafka, Mesos, Spark, Storm, Cassandra, ElasticSearch, PostgreSQL, Redis, Zookeeper, Nginx.
- 7 years Linux administration in a large-scale SaaS environment.
- 5 years maintaining production systems on AWS (preferably) or GCP.
- 3 years containerization in large-scale SaaS environment (eg. Docker, Kubernetes).
- 5 years running and optimizing RDBs and NoSQL databases.
- 5 years using configuration management (eg. SaltStack, Puppet, Chef).
- 3 years using infrastructure as code software (eg. Terraform, AWS and Google Cloud Deployment, CloudFormation).
- 5 years’ experience in continuous integration practices & tools (Jenkins, Travis CI, CircleCI, etc…)
- Experience working in a hybrid-cloud environment.
- Expert command of config management principles and an ability to code your desired state
- A deep understanding of distributed system design and dependency management
- Experience of working with or contributing directly to Open Source projects
- Understanding and experience of leading/managing technology products
- Understand machine learning techniques and tools. Translate business requirements into data models and implement them for scale and production ready systems
- Experience of working with failure-based testing
- Experience working in a test-driven development environment
- Previous experience of contributing to war rooms and blameless postmortems
- Superb communication skills, written and verbal
- Experience of working in a true DevOps environment with daily collaborations
- Experience screening new candidates to join the team
- Thrives in a fast-paced startup environment where there may be multiple competing priorities
- Customer-service mindset.
- Passion for improvement.