What You’ll Do
As a staff engineer, you will be responsible for coming up with design and plan for core components of the fulfillment infrastructure and you will do this in collaboration with other senior and staff engineers within the team and cross-organizations. This is an ambitious undertaking and an opportunity to redefine how Uber core fulfillment functions keeping the future in mind as we get to build the core transportation grid for the entire world, and move millions of people reliably around the world, every single day.
- Provide technical leadership to build, develop and scale fulfillment infrastructure
- Develop a strategy for cloud-native fulfillment infrastructure to operate in multi-region/zones spanning on-prem and public cloud. We need engineers who think about large-scale distributed systems, monitoring, fault-tolerance, durability and scalability.
- Mentor other engineers and build a strong culture of quality. Handle conflicts well and help build consensus.
- Creative problem solver - Have an excellent understanding of business goals and able to identify and solve high impact, highly complex problems. Additionally, you are then able to effectively loop in other top engineers to help solve the problem.
- Strong Code and documentation - your code should be used as the example for your company and you have the ability to build and design technical solutions from the ground up.
- Champion best software engineering practices such as continuous integration, delivery, and deployment.
What You’ll Need
- Bachelor's degree or higher in an engineering field (e.g. Computer Science, Computer Engineering, etc.)
- Past experience in successfully designing and building large-scale distributed systems with reliability and availability in mind.
- Past experience in scaling the systems to work in multiple availability zones.
- 10+ years experience designing, implementing large-scale distributed systems (serving 5K+ QPS, participating in 100M+ in transactions)
- Experience with multiple programming languages (Go, Java, Python) and data stores (MySQL, Cassandra, Redis, etc)
- Proven track record of results as a Staff Engineer level or above at a premier technology company
Bonus Points If
- Experience in building cloud-native architectures utilizing cloud data stores.
About the Team
Marketplace Platform’s mission is to provide a reliable, performant, and extensible fulfillment engine for Uber. The team provides the foundation and business models to enable transportation of people & things from origin to destination. This is modeled as a marketplace of demand (the side of the marketplace that requests trips, like riders, eats orders) and supply (the side that fulfills those requests, like drivers, bikes, public transit, external supply provider, etc).