Looking for a job to get you out of bed?
Casper is seeking a bright, energetic, business-minded and self-motivated commercial attorney with a minimum of three years of relevant experience to join its rapidly growing team. The ideal candidate has at least two years of experience gained at a leading law firm and additional in-house experience gained at a technology or consumer-facing web company. In this position, you will be responsible for day-to-day legal work supporting significant areas of our business (including our Product, Marketing, Data & Analytics, Tech & IT, People and Operations & Logistics teams), and will have the opportunity to manage and execute a broad range of cross-functional legal and commercial initiatives.
This position reports directly to the Senior Counsel and is based in the company’s corporate headquarters in Union Square, New York City.
Casper (casper.com) is a global sleep company that launched in 2014 with an obsessively engineered, outrageously comfortable mattress sold directly to consumers. Its critically acclaimed sleep surface was developed in-house, has a sleek design, and is delivered in a small, "how did they do that?"-sized box. The company is one of the fastest-growing consumer brands of all time, and its product line has expanded to include sheets, pillows, a matching foundation, and a dog mattress. Casper was named one of Fast Company's 50 Most Innovative Companies in 2017, and its eponymous mattress was crowned one of TIME Magazine's Best Inventions.
We are deeply committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce so that we represent all those who dream big equally.
When you’re not catching zzz’s, this is what you’ll do...
- Draft and negotiate a variety of coverage area-specific commercial agreements, including license, vendor, technology, master services, confidentiality and other agreements, and support the Legal team’s negotiation of applicable privacy, data security and IP provisions of inbound and outbound agreements
- Provide practical legal advice supporting various business teams in the U.S. and internationally, with an emphasis on issues related to marketing, data security and privacy, intellectual property and a broad range of commercial transactions
- Develop and maintain current knowledge on legal developments relevant to our business
- Collaborate in continuing development of commercial contracts workflows to develop a scalable, business-centric approach to commercial negotiations and agreements
- Develop and operationalize policies, training and workflows to allow business teams to move quickly while addressing key legal risks in their areas of operation
- Oversee our information and records management, including alignment with privacy and security policies
- Lead or assist the Legal team’s efforts in the preparation, implementation and refinement of appropriate forms, processes and procedures
- Build close relationships with personnel at supported business operations, and obtain and maintain a strong knowledge of the products and objectives of those operations
- Manage outside counsel
- Conduct periodic employee trainings on relevant matters
- Engage in or lead various other Legal projects and duties as needed, including due diligence and related support on strategic transactions
- Provide substantive support for the rest of the Legal team as needed
Our dream candidate is...
- 3+ years of relevant experience, preference for at least two years at a leading law firm
- In-house experience at a technology or Internet (ideally consumer-facing web or ecommerce) company preferred
- Must be admitted, active and in good standing with the New York State bar
- Strong general commercial contract skills and experience
The successful candidate must...
- Be passionate about technology and energized by the challenges of serving a dynamic, hyper-growth company
- Be extremely bright but also have an EQ that matches your IQ, and the ability to engage effectively with all levels of employees and management
- Have excellent communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
- Be detail-oriented, organized, efficient and resourceful with strong follow-through skills
- Be highly analytical and have exceptional business and legal issue identification and problem-solving skills
- Have a practical, business-oriented approach to problem-solving and be able to effectively counsel internal clients by providing them with clear, concise and commercial advice, and creative solutions where necessary, on established timelines to meet their business needs
- Be a strong and astute negotiator with impeccable judgment
- Be able to operate autonomously while being a team player who brings a positive, “can do” attitude to the workplace and works collaboratively with other members of the Legal team and with internal clients
- Be able to simultaneously manage workloads, multiple client demands and shifting priorities within a fast-paced, rapidly evolving environment
- Have a strong desire to learn the business and new areas of law and to function integrally as part of an interdisciplinary team
- Be collegial, hard working, confident, a self-starter and have a passion for results
- Be a multi-tasker with excellent analytical and legal skills
- Have the ability to understand business needs and partner with the business to create solutions
- Strong understanding of the interplay between legal and business risk
- Be organized, detail-oriented, resourceful, and flexible
- Be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines
The syrup on your waffles
- Salary to pay your bills, a potential bonus for some splurging, and equity so that you’re part of the Casper family.
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance to help you with those coughs or cavities (too many waffles...).
- 401K program so you can still spend money later in life.
- Extra cash incentives for being healthy and fit (we actually give you money to track your sleep!).
- Unlimited vacation policy. If you need time off just take it; we trust you!
- Bi-weekly catered lunches to catch up with your teammates.
- Free snacks and coffee, including a huge breakfast selection (10 types of cereal anyone?)
- Nap pods, for those days when you stayed out a little too late...
- A full gifted bed set when you join (mattress, sheets, pillows, the works)!
If you dream about this stuff this job is probably right for you. We look forward to learning more about you!