Looking for a job to get you out of bed?
Casper is looking for a special designer. Someone with a background in either soft goods, outerwear or apparel. A
designer with both skillful technical experience and a strong sense of design; The creativity and experience to know
both the limitations and opportunities to evolve textile and material construction and processes; And the agility to
transfer this knowledge across multiple product categories.
Casper (casper.com) is a global sleep company that launched in 2014 with an obsessively engineered, outrageously comfortable mattress sold directly to consumers. Its critically acclaimed sleep surface was developed in-house, has a sleek design, and is delivered in a small, "how did they do that?"-sized box. The company is one of the fastest-growing consumer brands of all time, and its product line has expanded to include sheets, pillows, a matching foundation, and a dog mattress. Casper was named one of Fast Company's 50 Most Innovative Companies in 2017, and its eponymous mattress was crowned one of TIME Magazine's Best Inventions.
We are deeply committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce so that we represent all those who dream big equally.
When you’re not catching zzz’s, this is what you’ll do
- Join a multi-disciplinary team who are collectively responsible for defining, developing and building Casper’s growing family of products.
- Participate in the entire development process, from design research and initial insights through form definition, feature development, CMF details and the creation of detailed documentation for production.
- Collaborate with other design disciplines (design research, engineering, graphic design, production, etc.) and across other functions within the company (supply chain, marketing, consumer experience, communications, etc.)
- Comfortable executing on both individual designs and whole collections around coherent themes, functions, prices etc.
- Create physical and visual assets throughout the entire design and development process: sketching, creating prototypes, illustrations, renderings and detailed design drawings.
Our dream candidate is...
• You’re both highly creative and practical; your designs are both beautiful and functional.
• A deep understanding and experience with the tools and processes for soft goods design & development (eg: in the
realm of outerwear, apparel, textiles, or footwear)
• Experience with weaving, knitting, cut/sew, finishing and processing.
• End to end experience in collaborating with both Material Developers and Vendors.
• A designer who sees how a solution fits into a larger strategy, and also enjoys diving into the details, (you see the
forest and the trees)
• You build to think; you’re as comfortable sketching and building physical prototypes.
• You are passionate about creating delightful moments across the entire user experience
• Not essential, but experience with trims and labels would be a plus.
• Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree in Design with experience in soft goods, outerwear or apparel.
• 5+ years of design experience, including 2+ years leading projects
• Experience in a design consultancy and/or an in-house design team (ideally both)
• Willing and able to work in San Francisco, CA and Travel (10-20%)
The syrup on your waffles
- Salary to pay your bills, a potential bonus for some splurging, and equity so that you’re part of the Casper family.
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance to help you with those coughs or cavities (too many waffles...).
- 401K program so you can still spend money later in life.
- Extra cash incentives for being healthy and fit (we actually give you money to track your sleep!).
- Unlimited vacation policy. If you need time off just take it; we trust you!
- Bi-weekly catered lunches to catch up with your teammates.
- Free snacks and coffee, including a huge breakfast selection (10 types of cereal anyone?)
- Nap pods, for those days when you stayed out a little too late...
- A full gifted bed set when you join (mattress, sheets, pillows, the works)!
If you dream about this stuff this job is probably right for you. We look forward to learning more about you, but if you’re feeling sleepy, take a nap before applying!