ABOUT THE ROLE:
Udemy's platform engineering team develops and supports software frameworks, services, tools, and processes that enable Udemy to support over 30 million students and 42,000 instructors in more than 190 countries globally. Our platform team is responsible for a wide swath of the software and infrastructure we build on top of including 3rd party frameworks (like Django), services (and microservices), APIs, authentication, security, build, message queues, task runners, versioning, and performance. We take on this work as well as the internal education and training associated with it.
We are looking for a senior software professional with proven experience in developing robust, scalable, and secure systems in an agile culture that ships dozens of changes every day. We need this person to have a healthy interest in the security responsibilities of our platform team. We would be thrilled if you have relevant security experience already, but we are happy for you to learn on the job as well.
Here’s what you’ll be doing:
- Design, develop, test, document, release, and monitor features in libraries and services that support Udemy's web and mobile applications.
- Plan, organize, and get work done in 2-week sprints.
- Participate in code reviews.
- Mentor team members in robust, scalable, and secure software development best practices and processes.
- Lead by example and contribute to a team culture that values quality while fostering innovation.
- Research and evaluate new technologies that may improve our processes or code bases.
- At times, function as a technical lead for various projects/tasks. This may involve some project, resource, and deployment planning in addition to software engineering responsibilities.
With your interest in security, you will over time:
- Improve features in and around authentication and authorization.
- Contribute to automating security checks and tests that plug into developer workflows, build pipelines, and continuous integration (CI).
- Help educate and train Udemy's engineering staff on best practices in software development.
- Collaborate with other engineers, product managers, and designers, as well as Udemy's information security, operations, legal, and compliance teams to develop, document, and implement processes and tools to keep Udemy's applications and systems secure, while meeting business goals as well as regulatory requirements.
We believe anyone can build the life they imagine through online learning. Today, more than 30 million students around the world are advancing their careers and passions by exploring and mastering new skills on Udemy, and expert instructors are able to share their knowledge with the world. Through our global marketplace and our solutions for businesses and governments, we connect people everywhere with the skills they need for success in work and life. We’re a close-knit bunch that enjoys problem-solving and collaboration, and we share a serious belief in the power of learning and teaching to change lives. Udemy’s culture encourages innovation, creativity, passion, and teamwork. We also celebrate our milestones and support each other every day.
Founded in 2010, Udemy is privately owned and headquartered in San Francisco’s SOMA neighborhood with offices in Denver (Colorado), Dublin (Ireland), Ankara (Turkey), and São Paulo (Brazil).
Udemy in the News: