Our mission is to be the catalyst for massive, measurable, data-informed healthcare improvement through:
Data: integrate data in a flexible, open & scalable platform to power healthcare’s digital transformation
Analytics: deliver analytic applications & services that generate insight on how to measurably improve
Expertise: provide clinical, financial & operational experts who enable & accelerate improvement
Engagement: attract, develop and retain world-class team members by being a best place to work
The Health Catalyst Data Operating System includes an extensible data engine written in C#/.NET. As a Software Engineer you will have the opportunity to work with various technologies, extending engine functionality for Health Catalyst clients and generalizing those extensions for broad usage.
We are seeking candidates with technical proficiency and the ability to assume responsibility and coordinate effectively with client stakeholders to develop solutions that are effective for client needs and architecturally sound. The successful candidate will also be eager and willing to learn new technologies as they emerge.
Duties & Responsibilities
To contribute greater value to Health Catalyst, the Data Science team integrates tools and techniques into other Health Catalyst product (e.g., DOS, Corus, Leading Wisely, Patient Safety, or Touchstone) and Service offerings. This Engineer will work with a team of data scientists to build and transform functional prototypes into production grade software. The software will sometimes stand alone, but usually need to integrate with Health Catalyst’s DOS and other application suites and tools. This role is responsible for new development, maintenance, and integration points.
- Engineering – conversion of proof of concept (e.g., R Shiny, Jupyter notebook) apps into a standalone web app or integrate functionality into another existing application. Manage releases and updates to existing software/packages such as healthcare.ai
- Strategy – development of strategy for integration of data science offerings across products within Health Catalyst that have different technical standards/frameworks
- Influence – ability to influence the design and implementation across several product, infrastructure, and service teams…and the ability to work with many key stakeholders
- Data science – working with a team of dedicated data scientists in the capacity of scaling their work across the company product and service lines
- Soft Skills & Important Traits
- Communication skills - Articulate speaker
- Collaborative and team-oriented
- Passionate about the application of technology to solve real world problems
- Prepared to lay a strong architectural foundation for a brand-new code base
- Commercial Software Development Experience
- Working knowledge of source code management systems (Git, TFS, SVN, etc.)
- Working knowledge of modern integrated development environments (IDEs like Visual Studio, Eclipse, etc.)
- DevOps experience (configuring build/deployment)
- Agile/Scrum software development practices
- Programming Skills
- Is comfortable with asynchronous programming
- Is curious and capable of learning new languages rapidly
- Familiarity with RESTful APIs
- Experience with automated testing
- Unit, integration, functional tests
- Data Science
- 1-2 years exposure to data science projects (statistics and machine learning) and software (R, Python)
- Database Skills
- Working knowledge of Structured Query Language (SQL)
- Working knowledge of relational database systems (SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, PostGRES)
- Data warehousing experience
- Natural language processing (NLP) pipeline construction
- NoSQL database technologies (ElasticSearch)
- Healthcare domain knowledge
- Business Intelligence experience
- Application Security
Education & Relevant Experience
- BS/BA or MS in Computer science, information systems, or other technology/science degree.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience building commercial software
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed in this job function. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, and indeed additional responsibilities may be assigned by Health Catalyst.
At Health Catalyst, we appreciate the opportunity to benefit from the diverse backgrounds and experiences of others. Because of our deep commitment to respect every individual, Health Catalyst is an equal opportunity employer.