InfluxData is a fast-growing Series D startup that offers InfluxDB, a time series database recognized industry-wide as the clear leader of the fastest growing database category. InfluxDB is running on hundreds of thousands of machines, used by teams worldwide to monitor and understand their systems and devices. The majority of our users are developers and builders using our open source software, but we also offer enterprise and cloud SaaS products, all exposing a single unified API.
We’re looking for an experienced Director of Engineering to lead the User organization within InfluxData Engineering, reporting to the SVP Engineering.
Though many InfluxData employees are remote, we strongly prefer that you work out of the San Francisco office, where most of our User engineering team is located.
*From a remote perspective, we currently support the UK, Germany, Italy and following US states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, GA, ID, IL, MA, MN, NC, NJ, NY, OH, OR, TX, UT, VA, WA *
What you’ll be doing:
You’ll be a full lifecycle Engineering Director, working with Product Management and Program Management, with responsibility and accountability for leading multiple engineering teams through all aspects of product delivery, from Vision and Planning through Design, Execution, Delivery, Operations, and Support, with an agile development methodology and a continuous delivery model.
You’ll recruit, hire and grow world-class engineers who will thrive and excel in a very fast-paced, transparent, and collaborative engineering environment.
You’ll provide communication and alignment of work to vision, plans, and strategy, with effective coordination and execution in a world of often-competing goals and prioritizations. You will be constantly collaborating with peers, leaders at multiple levels in the organization, and across all disciplines.
Your skills and experience:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science or related technical discipline, or equivalent real-world experience
- 12+ years in Commercial Software Engineering, 6+ years as a world-class engineering manager, with 3+ years as a second-level manager of managers
- Highly technical and love to roll up your sleeves. You’ve seen and done it all, from packaged product and third-party scale-up on-prem to scale-out distributed systems to hybrid to full cloud and IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS.
- You’re an experienced full lifecycle engineering manager, from conception and vision through implementation, delivery, operations, and support.
- You deeply understand all of the ‘ilities’, including usability, scalability, durability, availability, operability, maintainability, and security.
- You have a strong bias for action - you get stuff done, and lead by example
- You can scale your approach and communications from junior to senior exec, and from non-technical user to the most hardcore engineer.
- You are driven and motivated by delivering great outcomes and capabilities to our users and customers, and are able to juggle multiple teams and deliverables simultaneously.
Highly Desired experience:
- You live and breathe developer-focused platforms and APIs
- You’ve worked in the Linux and Open Source community for years.
- Full stack experience, from UI to API to DB to infrastructure. From JS to C++ or Go, and from KV to SQL. And you’ve built it all, from an OS and a compiler, not just connected existing tooling and systems.
- Data ingestion, Data storage. Data transformation. Data analytics. Did I mention Data?
- You’ve shipped multiple industry known technologies, either commercially or creating or committer on well-known open source projects.
- IoT, monitoring, logging, or other high volume, high scale data activities
- Live service monitoring and operations, and have seen the move from devops to no-ops (full automation and self-healing systems).
- You live in a world of building and using KPIs and data to inform and drive your decisions.
InfluxData ( https://www.influxdata.com/ )is the creator of the leading time series database, InfluxDB. The InfluxData platform is built on the open source projects – Telegraf, InfluxDB, Chronograf, and Kapacitor.
We're a Series D-funded startup, backed by Sapphire Ventures, Norwest Venture Partners, Mayfield Fund, Trinity Ventures, and Battery Ventures, and a Y Combinator success story.
We offer fantastic benefits, including:
- Medical/ dental/vision insurance with 100% coverage for employees and dependents
- Company contribution to FSA and commuter benefits
- Open PTO - take the time you need
- Life lnsurance, short- and long-term disability insurance
- 401k (non matching)
- ....and more!
InfluxData is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
InfluxData does not accept unsolicited resumes from headhunters and recruitment agencies through our website, job board or directly to employees. InfluxData will not pay fees to any third-party agency, headhunter or company that does not have a signed agreement for this position in place.