When something is broken, do you want to figure out why?
When you figure out why, do you explain the process to your friends?
Join our growing support team to level up on cutting-edge technology, Golang, Open Source community management, SaaS operations, and to collaborate with our wide range of customers and partners.
As a Support Engineer, you'll respond to support questions from our range of customers, collaborate with the developers and product teams on characterizing, reproducing, and fixing issues, add to our documentation and training materials, host webinars, and work with our open-source community on GitHub and elsewhere. You will be a key part of our 24/7 support presence, supporting our on-premise customers and SaaS users. You will assist customers who are paying for SLA support, customers using InfluxCloud (our SaaS offering), and customers using only the open-source products. You'll be supporting users at Fortune 50 enterprises, fledgling startups, established startups, academic researchers, and government projects. Our customers come from many fields, including industrial automation, high frequency trading, consumer retail, online gaming, and energy management.
We're looking for candidates who value continual improvement and building tools and teachings that benefit the open source development community. The Support team is a good home for people who leave things better than they found them. We are people who say "I'll learn!" rather than "I don't know." You'll need to be open to experimenting, which means that sometimes you will fail. (That's okay -- every mistake is also a lesson.) You'll need the persistence to find a solution without a flowchart laying out the entire process. You'll need the maturity and experience to work without direct oversight much of the day, and with colleagues distributed around the globe. You will be working closely with the whole company and all of our customers, so you'll need to be empathic, supportive, and self-aware.
*From a remote perspective, this position will work East Coast hours and we currently support the following states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, GA, ID, IL, MA, MN, NC, NJ, NY, OH, OR, TX, UT, VA, WA *
What you’ll be doing:
* Support a global customer base via GitHub, community, email or ticketing systems
* Demonstrate ownership, follow-through with customers and drive issues to resolution
* Reproduce customer issues and test new product functionality
* Partner with customers to achieve their desired goals by illustrating best practices
* Adhere to contractual SLAs for responsiveness
* Update and extend documentation
* Participate in on-call rotation for the SaaS product with rest of the team
* Enhance our Cloud offering using automation and monitoring tools
* Communicate recurring issues, challenges, and roadblocks with fellow team members and products
Your background and skills:
* Experience in a customer-facing position
* Excellent English written and verbal communication skills
* Empathy for people facing technical challenges
* 4+ years of technical work experience: support, development, engineering, etc.
* Profound knowledge in database concepts, database clustering, HA services, load balancing, automation, monitoring, configuration management and queuing (Kafka, Rabbit MQ, TIBCO, MQ Series, etc.)
* Knowledge of Networking and HTTP(S)
* Significant experience in Linux-based application hosting environments
* DevOps experience, particularly AWS Core technologies or other cloud offerings
* Experience with Docker/Kubernetes in a production environment.
* Familiarity with automation tools such as Ansible, Puppet
* Familiarity with system monitoring tools and practices (Nagios, Zabbix, Zenoss, Sensu, etc.)
* Awareness of at least one scripting language (Ruby, Python, Bash, etc.)
* Software development experience, particularly Golang is a plus
* Git or other version control systems experience
* Experience working with APIs
* Professional, personable, conscientious
Nice to have:
* Documentation or tech writing experience
* Professional Services or Training experience
* Experience with time-series data tools
InfluxData is the creator of the leading time series database, InfluxDB. The InfluxData platform is built on the open source projects – Telegraf, InfluxDB, Chronograf, and Kapacitor.
We’re a Series D-funded startup, backed by Sapphire Ventures, Norwest Venture Partners, Mayfield Fund, Trinity Ventures, and Battery Ventures, and a Y Combinator success story.
We offer fantastic benefits, including:
- Medical/ dental/vision insurance with 100% coverage for employees and dependents
- Company contribution to FSA and commuter benefits
- Open PTO - take the time you need
- Life lnsurance, short- and long-term disability insurance
- 401k (non matching)
- ....and more!
InfluxData is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
InfluxData does not accept unsolicited resumes from headhunters and recruitment agencies through our website, job board or directly to employees. InfluxData will not pay fees to any third-party agency, headhunter or company that does not have a signed agreement for this position in place.