InfluxData is a fast-growing Series D startup that offers InfluxDB, a time series database recognized industry-wide as the clear leader of the fastest growing database category. InfluxDB is runnings on hundreds of thousands of systems to monitor and understand systems and devices around the world. The majority of our users are developers using our open source software, but we also offer enterprise and cloud SaaS products, all exposing a single unified API.
Influx is looking for a Principal Software Engineer to join our database engineering team, reporting to the Director of Platform Engineering.
Many InfluxData employees are remote, so you have your choice of being remote, or working out of our San Francisco office.
*From a remote perspective, we currently support the UK, Germany, Italy and following US states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, GA, ID, IL, MA, MN, NC, NJ, NY, OH, OR, TX, UT, VA, WA *
What you’ll be doing:
You’ll be a senior contributing member of our database engineering team, with responsibility and accountability for delivering critical database products and features from Vision and Planning through Design, Execution, Delivery, Operations, and Support, with an agile development methodology and a continuous delivery model.
You’ll join a strong team of database software engineers as a peer and a leader, bringing extensive experience in designing, implementing, and operating large scale data management systems. You understand that great products require great culture - you design and implement with respect and kindness..
You have deep technical expertise in large-scale developer data platforms. Influxdata ships open source data management and query products, on-premises clustered enterprise data management products, and a SaaS time-series platform. We have built our own storage engines, query engines, and stream processing systems: we embrace creating the technologies necessary to make time to awesome as fast as possible for the developers that use our products.
Your skills and experience:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science or a related technical discipline, or equivalent real-world experience
- 12+ years in commercial software engineering
- Extensive demonstrated work history designing and implementing data storage and distributed data management systems. You dream about never needing to explain the CAP theorem to marketing again.
- You’ve seen and done it all, from packaged product and to scale-out distributed systems to hybrid to full cloud and IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS.
- You’ve built it all - not just connected existing tooling and systems.
- You’re passionate about databases. When you read “MVC”, you wonder about the missing “C”. You have favorite VLDB papers. Maybe you published your favorite VLDB paper. You have posters of Ted Codd and Jim Gray and Michael Stonebraker on your wall.
- You build systems for end-users and put user experience first.
- You understand all of the ‘ilities’, including usability, scalability, durability, availability, operability, maintainability, and security.
- Strong bias for action, with ability to handle ambiguity, and take on tasks as necessary to succeed. We are a startup.
Highly Desired experience:
- You live and breath developer-focused platforms and APIs
- You’ve worked in the Open Source community for years.
- Data ingestion, Data storage. Data transformation. Data analytics. Did I mention Data?
- You’ve shipped multiple industry known technologies, either commercially or creating or committer on well-known open source projects..
- IoT, monitoring, logging, or other high volume, high scale data activities
- Linux and open source development
- Large-scale distributed systems
- SaaS engineering and live site operations with CI/CD
- Live service monitoring and operations, and have seen the move from devops to no-ops (full automation and self-healing systems).
- You live in a world of building and using KPIs and data to inform and drive your decisions.
- Experience from v1 through continuous sustained delivery cycle in a SaaS model.
InfluxData ( https://www.influxdata.com/ )is the creator of the leading time series database, InfluxDB. The InfluxData platform is built on the open source projects – Telegraf, InfluxDB, Chronograf, and Kapacitor.
We're a Series D-funded startup, backed by Sapphire Ventures, Norwest Venture Partners, Mayfield Fund, Trinity Ventures, and Battery Ventures, and a Y Combinator success story.
We offer fantastic benefits, including:
- Medical/ dental/vision insurance with 100% coverage for employees and dependents
- Company contribution to FSA and commuter benefits
- Open PTO - take the time you need
- Life lnsurance, short- and long-term disability insurance
- 401k (non matching)
- ....and more!
Visit our careers page ( https://www.influxdata.com/careers/ ) to learn more about working at InfluxData.
InfluxData is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
InfluxData does not accept unsolicited resumes from headhunters and recruitment agencies through our website, job board or directly to employees. InfluxData will not pay fees to any third-party agency, headhunter or company that does not have a signed agreement for this position in place.