Casper is seeking a Design Researcher to join our product team. Our team is small, steadily growing, and very experienced. We spend a huge amount of time and effort to develop very considered and uniquely wonderful products and experiences. As Casper expands, we are excited to envision new products, services and experiences that extend the brand, furthering our movement to achieve better sleep for all.
We are seeking a design researcher who can lead a user-centered design process to incubate and develop these new-to-the-world products and experiences.
The ideal candidate is experienced in both user research and design, with substantial depth on the research and strategy side. You have a knack for translating user insights into design, and you leverage a broad toolbox of research and prototyping methods to develop exceptional product experiences. You have experience working on physical products, not just digital.
LEADING & CONDUCTING DESIGN RESEARCH:
- Develop research plans and select methodologies, both qualitative and quantitative, to understand people’s needs and behaviors around products. Scope and plan research that can address key strategic questions from senior leaders both in Product and cross-functionally.
- Develop insight-driven strategies to guide the development of new products, services and experiences, as well as improving existing programs
- Lead design research and synthesis efforts from beginning to end: scoping, planning and logistics, recruiting (from within and beyond our highly-engaged customer base), facilitating research sessions (in-homes, group sessions, remote, etc), leading synthesis and analysis, and forming clear, articulate recommendations that are grounded in user needs
- Build frameworks and other visual tools to clearly communicate opportunities and strategic direction
- Seek out and develop new and interesting research tools, processes and methodologies
- Work closely with designers and engineers to translate insights from the field into actionable and inspiring design principles and guidelines, and mentor team members on best practices around design research processes
LEADING A DESIGN PROCESS:
- Lead a multi-disciplinary team of designers, engineers, and cross-functional partners to brainstorm, prototype and iterate on ideas. Stay with the project to bring initiatives from concept to implementation.
- Facilitate cross-functional collaboration and inputs into the design process from teams such as Merchandising, Marketing, and Retail.
- Represent user, brand, and business perspectives.
- Travel about 10-20% of time
- Minimum 2 years years working in consulting or on an in-house design or design research team
- Experience leading a design team and process spanning user research through to design implementation.
- Empathy and passion for people, observing and interviewing them and representing the human perspective in design
- Able to drive to a point of view on fast-moving timelines
- Project experience across various types of design, including physical products, services and environments. Experience on a team developing physical products is a must.
- Well versed and experience leading qualitative and quantitative research studies
- Well versed and experienced leading a front-end design process
- Highly motivated self-starter
- Flexible, adaptable, able to work in an entrepreneurial environment
- Detail oriented, highly creative, with a passion for design
- Strong organizational and analytical skills
- Demonstrated experience translating insights into actionable design principles and opportunity areas, with products that have launched/gone to market
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree in a research, strategy, or design relate field or equivalent experience or education