What You’ll Do
Technical Program Managers move fluidly from the big picture to details so that the team can deliver complex and strategic cross-functional projects, often with tight deadlines. You are a bridge and a connector for the company. You are intuitive, focused, driven, organized, insightful and productive. You break through communication issues and effectively develop relationships with stakeholders at all levels of the organization. You build trust across the organization. You are not afraid to be direct, but you act with empathy and integrity. Technical Program Management work involves the following:
- Project manage complex and large scale cross-team, cross-functional initiatives. Interface with engineering managers and engineers to estimate work efforts, define milestones and manage resources. Track progress, resolve dependencies, evaluate risks and communicate status to upper management and project stakeholders. Engage and energize the project teams to achieve aggressive goals.
- Proactively remove obstacles to drive momentum and progress. Identify communication gaps, manage issue escalations and provide support to teams balancing competing priorities. Drive results proactively.
- Understand technical implementation at the architecture level and propose technical alternatives when necessary. Ask questions that clarify priorities and push the team to be highly effective. Develop broad domain and technical knowledge.
- Help manage the cross-functional strategic planning and business planning process, leading conversations with key stakeholders to develop concepts for strategic initiatives, and developing those into detailed program / project plans (including roadmaps, funding planning, resource planning and hiring goals).
- Continuously improve and scale the organization. Implement continuous improvements to the engineering organization and the program management process. Share program/project process frameworks, tools, and best practices that can be adopted throughout the organization. Improve product development and delivery. Mentor project management skills within our engineering leadership team.
- Resource Management. Work with the project team to define the projects’ cross functional technical and non-technical resources. Monitor allocation and capacity.
What You’ll Need
- Minimum of 6 years experience as a technical program / project manager or engineering manager; directly managing or engineering large scale, cross functional initiatives.
- Ability to discover and document the functional requirements, timelines, and order of dependencies across an engineering project lifecycle from inception to delivery.
- Experienced in technical project management and its methodologies with the ability to apply said experience where needed.
- Proficient knowledge of platform dependencies (network -> storage -> compute -> virtualization & load- balancing systems -> applications)
- Proficient knowledge of the timelines and requirements associated with large scale corporate procurement/deployment projects (Circuits, Cross-connects, optics and cable types, procurement & receiving/asset-tagging, Physical logistics, Infra design, etc)
- Analytical and truth seeking. Ability to understand complex concepts and make reasoned decisions objectively.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to influence and motivate people across a broad variety of job functions through your relationships.
Bonus Points If
- Experience with distributed systems, load-balancing (SLB/GLB), application failover (DNS TTL, capacity management), and or technical corporate infrastructure programs.
- Working familiarity of AWS services and regions.
- Experience creating, executing, and re-baselining large scale program plans and timelines.
- Wide breadth of Infrastructure experience: launching new services, service reviews, deployment planning, capacity planning etc.
About the Team
The Uber Corporate Infrastructure team is responsible for critical enterprise services and platforms that span both physical infrastructure, and cloud implementations across multiple regions; and continues to grow both in scale and scope every day. This team provides the backbone which enables Uber’s workforce across the globe, to build the services our customers want and need. This is a dynamic and exciting time for the right professional to join an amazing team!