Mattress, Furniture and Soft Goods Product Regulatory Compliance Engineer
Casper is looking for a Mattress, Furniture and Soft Goods Product Regulatory Compliance Engineer to join our Design and Development and Operations team in our San Francisco office (Mission). She/he will report to the Director of Quality Engineering and work closely with our Product Design, Supply Chain, Manufacturing, CX and Sourcing teams to ensure compliance to all US and International regulatory and compliance requirements.
As a Compliance Engineer, you will work collaboratively with the design, engineering and manufacturing teams throughout the product lifecycle by specifying regulatory requirements, completing pre-testing of products and supporting the team through product execution, ultimately driving the team to obtain the required regulatory compliance and safety certifications. The Compliance Engineer will also work to ensure that the products remain in compliance throughout their life cycle.
- Creates processes that ensures requirements related to regulatory compliance as they relate to Mattresses, Furniture and Soft Goods (Sheets, Pillows, Duvets, etc.) are communicated, planned for and executed accordingly.
- Works with Legal team to ensure that records are properly kept, traceable and meet appropriate testing and submission processes.
- Interacts and engages with US, Asian and European partners ensuring adherence to compliance requirements and schedules.
- Works directly with product development, manufacturing and supplier teams throughout development process and report on progress and scheduled commitments.
- Develops or verifies test plans and SOPs for each test phase during the product development.
- Establishes test schedules with the 3rd party compliance labs as needed.
- Engages rapidly in resolution of test issues, works with design, manufacturing and supply base partners to develop solutions and corrective actions as needed.
- Provides necessary documentation to certification or auditing bodies as required.
- Establishes / maintains guidelines and best practices (Design for Compliance) to mitigate compliance issues early in the design phase.
- Guides design practices to ensure compliance mitigations are properly implemented in the design and manufacturing.
- Drives root cause determination and corrective actions for any failures observed during product life cycle.
- Manages and communicates with various authorities, supporting submission or inquires towards final approval from the governmental or regulatory bodies.
- Responsible for / drives regulatory label artwork configuration and release to ensure compliance to various certification bodies.
- Remains up to date on any changes to global compliance requirements and testing protocols.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field. Appropriate level of experience can be considered in lieu of a technical degree.
- 7-10 years of full exposure to US and Global compliance requirements with relevant multiple generations product development and release experiences in testing, compliance and labeling of Mattresses, Furniture and Soft goods products.
- Extensive and hands-on testing experience with Federal Standard 16 CFR 1632, 16 CFR 1633, TB 117, ASTM E1590, EN 597 and all other related and relevant local, federal and global standards as well as labeling requirements.
- Experience working with US, Asian and European manufacturing partners.
- Excellent project management skill set.
- Proven track record in working in a highly collaborative team environment.
- Ability to move quickly and work in a rapid pace environment.
- Ability to travel both domestically and internationally as required.
- Must love sleep!
Casper (casper.com) is a sleep brand that launched in 2014 with one perfect mattress sold directly to consumers — eliminating commission-driven, inflated prices. Its award-winning sleep surface was developed in-house, has a sleek design, and is delivered in a small, "how did they do that?" sized box. A year and a half after launching the mattress, Casper expanded its universally comfortable product line, which now includes a perfect pillow and sheets, furniture and is embarking further into the sleep science.
The company is one of the fastest growing consumer brands of all time with more than 350 full-time employees, and revenues increasing by 25% annually and thousands of Casper owners. Casper was named one of Fast Company's Most Innovative Companies in the World.
- Competitive salary + equity
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance
- Fitness stipend
- Open vacation policy
- Lots of free food and naps!