ACL exists to help make the world a safer and more ethical place. By enabling Governance, Risk, and Compliance (GRC) professionals that use our software to be recognized for the value they bring to their organizations, we aim to be game-changers: to provide organizations with the software tools, support, and knowledge to dive deep into their data, identify anomalies, and manage GRC across the entire organization. From helping a national agency track down missing children to helping banks find suspicious patterns in their data and state agencies stamp out fraudulent activities, ACL has been at the heart of many investigations that have helped save people and millions…talk about impact!
The ACL R&D Team
The R&D team extends beyond the walls of ACL and stands on the shoulders of giants. We use the innovation of technology partners like Amazon, select OEMs, and the Open Source Community to ensure we’re meeting our challenges with the most current and effective technologies. We give back by contributing time, code and support to our engineers and across the community.
To understand more about software development at ACL, read Landing your Software Engineering Dream Job. To look through the window into R&D, check out our blog or read these articles: Inside ACL R&D Part I — Brigades, and R&D Baymax Team Spirit.
As a DevOps shop, we own what we build. We do not pass it off to others. We maintain it. We continually work to reduce the time required to build and safely deploy software. Security, integrity and performance are not an afterthought. They are built into our development process. We design for growing use. We use tools to continually scan our code base and stay current on patches and upgrades. If a serious vulnerability is discovered we pause everything else and immediately resolve it.
We have a product development group of 165+ and counting (the company has over 475+ employees and counting). We work in small “brigades” comprised of 5 or so Software Engineers, 2 Software Engineer in Test(s), a Manager, a UX Designer, UX Developer and a Product Designer. It’s our version of a scrum team.
The Challenge Ahead
We’re searching for a Senior Software Engineer with extensive experience in Rails, PostgreSQL and AWS (or similar technologies). You will collaborate with, mentor and guide a team of talented developers to design, build, test and deploy robust, scalable and secure APIs that power visually-stunning user interfaces. You’ll also work with other teams to build shared services and seamless integrations. Our users like to push the limits and that provides opportunities to tackle interesting scalability and performance challenges.
What Will You Get Out of This?
- An amazing dynamic startup environment within a financially stable company (did we mention we just celebrated our 30th anniversary?)
- Some of the best benefits in the industry (asking for more information can be a great first question for us in the interview process)
- Working with an awesome team of professional software engineers with plenty of room to learn and grow.
Skills for Success at ACL
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent experience.
- You have strong ability to coach, mentor and lead fellow developers, provide guidance on technical design and conduct good code reviews.
- You have experience designing and building large-scale, high availability, secure web applications. Bonus if you’ve built them with Ruby on Rails in an agile environment.
- You have experience building robust, scalable and secure RESTful APIs, working with relational databases (ideally PostgresSQL) and AWS.
- You write clean code and care deeply about code quality.
- You believe in TDD, and detest having bugs slip through to production.
- You are passionate about learning and continuous improvement.
- You have creative ideas, a collaborative attitude and strong work ethic.
- You have an interest in learning and exploring frontend technologies such as React or Angular.
- You are actively involved in local meetups and contribute to open source projects.