Who is Karat?
Interviewing is the gateway to building careers and teams. Yet, it’s no one’s job to do it with fairness and professionalism -- so we made it our job.
Karat conducts first-round technical interviews on behalf of companies like Indeed, Intuit, Pinterest, and Citrix. Our network of experienced Interview Engineers have conducted tens of thousands of technical interviews with software engineering candidates. Clients increase capacity to interview and unlock engineering productivity, all while providing exceptional candidate experiences.
Content, Engineering, and Interviewing
Karat is revolutionizing the way we interview and assess software engineering candidates, and it all begins here. Our Content team creates the questions asked in every Karat interview and constantly works to ensure that our content is objective, predictive, and unbiased. The Content team drives the research and analysis that give us the confidence to stand behind our assessment, and ensures that every interview that truly gets to the heart of the candidate's abilities.
- Create the technical content used in hundreds of interviews every day
- Research new interview formats for more effective & accurate methods of assessing candidates
- Generate and evaluate hypotheses on the performance of interview content
- Determine what type of assessments are most predictive of on-the-job performance
- Continually test content by conducting interviews with our clients
- Managing newly created and existing interview formats, questions, and content
- Identify and test ways to reduce bias in interviewing
- Build standardized, reproducible interview formats
Additionally, there is the option to help write the tooling in our systems necessary to conduct these new, experimental interview formats.
- Self-motivated, curious, and truth-seeking
- Driven to improve interviews and assessments
- Degree in computer science or a related field, or equivalent experience
- Previous experience interviewing or evaluating candidates, focused on evaluating fundamental computer science skills (i.e. data structures, algorithms etc.), software craftsmanship (i.e. understanding of unit testing, source control, APIs etc.), and/or specific technologies (i.e. Android, distributed systems etc.).
- A confident technical writer and editor
- Experience as a hiring manager for software engineering candidates
- Research experience; experience conducting rigorous experiments and tests
- Statistical experience
- Experience working in Ruby on Rails or a similar web development stack