Who is Wyze?
Wyze is a tech startup based in Kirkland, WA.
We’re a team of innovators and tech geeks obsessed with making smart home products accessible to everyone. Our products are intuitive and easy to use, and we partner with our customers to add new features and continuously improve our products over time. We believe customers shouldn’t have to compromise – beautifully designed smart home products should enrich people’s lives and be something everyone can afford.
We launched our first smart home camera, Wyze Cam, in October 2017. We also have the Wyze Cam Pan, a pan & tilt camera.
Community engagement is in the heart of everything that we do. It’s our way to help customers set up and use our products, and to gather feedback on how we can make them better.
What is this Opportunity?
Senior Research Engineer in Wyze will develop machine learning solutions for various ioT products by evaluating algorithms to resolve machine learning related problems in considering edge cases, implementing state-of-arts machine learning algorithms proposed in research papers, building training and testing datasets, establishing data annotation process and pipelines, testing, evaluating and optimizing algorithms on edge devices, working with engineering team to integrate the algorithm with ioT products, supporting and developing AI engineering team as tech lead. The Senior Research Engineer will also be responsible to determine the standard for algorithm evaluation, experimentation, automation, and the process for data collection.
The role requires the candidates follow and understand the state-of-arts machine learning research progress specifically in computer vision domain, have strong ability to evaluate and make decision on different technical routes, prioritize well, communicate clearly, have a consistent track record of delivery and excellent software engineering skills, and be capable to well balance the time distributed between algorithm evaluation and production workload. The candidate must be able to work across multiple facets of the project and juggle multiple responsibilities at the same time. Strong analytic capability and the ability to create innovative solutions. We are looking for a highly motivated individual who is looking to grow their career in a fast paced environment.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Designs technical solutions for machine learning related functions in ioT products including but not limiting on computer vision domain.
- Recognizes the state-of-arts algorithms targeting machine learning related functions of Wyze’s ioT products, be capable to implement and conduct experiments for proof-of-concept and evaluation purpose. Communicates with management and engineering team to understand the expectation in terms of algorithm performance, including but not limiting on precision, recall, latency and edge cases handling.
- Coordinates with engineering team to integrates machine learning algorithms with cloud services and edge devices. Be capable to achieve balance and tradeoff between precision/recall and engineering quality under the consideration of large traffic volume.
- Designs and implements training process for machine learning algorithms. Establishes data collection process and pipeline.
- Documents and demonstrates solutions by developing documentation, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts, code comments and clear code.
- Updates job knowledge by studying state-of-the-art development tools, programming techniques, and computing equipment; participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Understands edge cases for the algorithms raised by customers, management and engineering team. Be capable to develop the plan for improvement.
- Accomplishes engineering and organization mission by completing related results as needed.
- Supports and develops research engineers by providing advice, coaching and educational opportunities.
- Master or PhD degree in Computer Engineer, Computer Science or Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science plus 5+ years work experience. Experience in top tier AI research labs plus.
- Proficiency on Java, C++, Python or Ruby & Rails, deep understanding of modern programming language design principles
- Solid understanding of state-of-arts machine learning and computer vision algorithms
- Familiar with at least one of regular deep learning frameworks including TensorFlow, MXNet, CNTK and PyTorch.
- Possess excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills and be comfortable working with multiple stakeholders to understand and explain highly technical information in a clear, concise manner
- Ability to strategize in a variety of project areas and deal with ambiguity in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Experience on edge device optimization plus
- Publications on CVPR, ECCV, ICCV or other top tier machine learning journals or conferences plus
- Solid experience in AWS, Azure or Google Cloud plus
- Experience in a startup is a plus