Data volumes at Uber are growing exponentially. Uber's business relies heavily on rich datasets and analytics to gain deep insights and make real-time business decisions. Data drives our strategy and roadmap on Safety. We build layered data infrastructure to capture, aggregate, store, audit, and enrich the numerous data sets and signal flowing from all corners of our business.
What about your role?
As the Engineering Manager of our Core Data Intelligence team on Safety & Insurance, you will be responsible for setting and executing on a clear vision for an industry-leading data platform across all Safety and Insurance business programs, delivering mission critical initiatives like Uber's CLO commitment on Transparency Report, and sustaining a high bar on reliability and stability of our data infrastructure. Our data platform powers our products and solutions ranging from advanced telematics, machine learning, high scale distributed systems, real-time and offline data processing.
In this highly cross-functional role, you will build and lead our engineering team, and help your team grow both technically and professionally. You will also work closely with product, data science, actuarial, as well as Uber's data platform and business operation teams, and lead the planning, execution and success of complex technical projects.
What You'll Do
- Recruit and inspire world class talent and provide technical guidance, career development, and mentorship to team members
- Provide technical leadership at your team's technical and design discussions as a hands-on manager and support new product and business launches across all Safety's business verticals
- Uphold a high bar for engineering best practices, data quality, and operational excellence on your team and the Safety organization. Define the processes needed to achieve operational and engineering excellence in all areas, including system reliability and development productivity
- Set and drive the vision for the Core Data Intelligence on Safety and Insurance
- Contribute to the larger vision and direction of the Safety Engineering Organization
- Manage the cross-functional strategic and business planning process which consists of leading the conversations with key stakeholders to develop strategic initiatives, then developing them into detailed project plans that includes roadmaps, funding planning, resource planning, and hiring goals.
- Drive the design, building, and launching of all organization's data models and data pipelines in production which includes defining clear SLA's with our data consumers
- Manage safety's core data and ML platforms and evolve its architecture to support Uber's new markets, products, and ventures
- Manage the delivery of high impact dashboards and data visualizations
- Drive the organization capacity planning and working with Engineers on maintaining cluster health and uptime
- Define trust/data quality metrics and build monitoring so that all Data products have minimal impact from upstream outages.
- Work with insurance actuaries and leadership to get Insurance Financial Data to be IPO ready
- Build strong cross-functional relationships with Data Analysts, Data Scientists, Product Managers and Insurance actuarials to understand the organization's data needs and anticipate them in the future
- Continuously improve and scale the data group, its development process and its program management process
- Partner up with the PM and TPM to manage complex and large scale cross-team, cross-functional data initiatives, track progress, resolve dependencies, evaluate risks, and communicate status to your stakeholders
What You'll Need
- 5 Minimum Years of Experience with Big Data, Data Streaming, Distributed Systems, ETL
- 3+ years of people management experience nurturing careers, managing under- and over-performers, influencing cross-functional teams, recruiting and building teams
- 7+ years of experience with Distributed Systems and Data Engineering
- Technical proficiency: We don't need you to code, but you should be able to understand it and be able to communicate what's needed to our engineering team.
- Proficiency with relational SQL and NoSQL database technologies. We have a number of different SQL-based systems in use: MySQL, Postgres, Hive, and Vertica.
- Familiarity with languages like Go, Java, or Scala. Many of the systems we interface with are developed in other languages and require code to be written or maintained in those languages. If you don't know those languages already, you'll have the space to learn them.
- Solid technical and business understanding of Hadoop, Hive, Spark, data warehousing solutions, in-memory databases, data modeling, ETL, Visualization, data quality, security, and capacity management
- Management at Uber is management as a service. As such, managers are judged based on their ability to identify opportunities and lead/grow engineers through efficient execution. You must be persuasive, patient, compassionate and possess exquisite prioritization skills.
- Excellent critical thinking, problem solving and analytical skills.
- Excellent communication skills, and the ability to work effectively with others
- Ability to quickly learn new technologies and adapt easily to meet the needs of our massive growth and rapidly evolving business environment
- Biased toward action and sense of ownership over everything you ship. You must be able be able to do more with less and turn would be blockers into opportunities for growth.
- Excellent execution, organization and ability to collaborate. To be successful in this role, you should be comfortable executing with little oversight and be able to adapt to problems quickly.
- Strategic mindset. You're comfortable thinking a few steps ahead of where the team is at now.
- Principled yet pragmatic. A qualified candidate will have conviction and be authentic in their approach, but situationally aware enough to adapt when needed.
- Able to work with a globally distributed engineering teams (India, US, Brazil)
- Excellent educational background in a quantitative field, such as Computer Science, Statistics, or Machine Learning.
About the Team
Standing for Safety is our #1 company priority and sits at the heart of our team's mission. The Safety Engineering organization is working to redefine what it takes to be safe at global scale.
Our work touches all parts of the Uber experience from dispatch to on-trip and post-trip, as well as Uber's ecosystem ranging from our core rides business to new modalities, marketplaces, and ventures. We use real-time telematics and motion sensing technologies along with multi-faceted machine learning algorithms and user-facing mobile products to reduce and prevent unsafe driving and behavior on the Uber platform. The team is building low-latency data streaming infrastructure that ingests terabytes of data daily before applying statistical modeling and signal processing algorithm, NLP auditing as well as facial biometrics recognition solutions.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.