About the Role
Uber Engineering has amassed a veritable treasure trove of technical documentation. As a Technical Writer, you will use your writing and technical abilities to make it easy to understand Uber engineering information. You will work with engineers, technical writers, product managers, and data scientists to understand user needs.
We are looking for an experienced Senior Technical Writer.
What You'll Do
- Work closely with engineers to produce high-quality technical documentation that engineers trust.
- Improve existing onboarding and education processes with documentation, helping engineers get up to speed more quickly.
- Improve the developer experience by testing tools and services, investigating pain points, and channeling feedback into high quality, impactful documentation.
- Properly organize documentation, from the layout of content on a page, to finding its proper place in the entire documentation taxonomy, with search optimization in mind.
- Define standards and style guidelines that help other writers and engineers.
What You'll Need
- A minimum of 5 years of experience writing developer-facing documentation and other forms of technical content.
- Demonstrated ability to write technically accurate, concise, and thorough content.
- Demonstrated ability to independently scope out and manage multiple writing projects.
- Established ability to learn technical concepts quickly.
- Experience writing for web, software, hardware, or cloud technologies.
- Experience creating API documentation or code examples.
- Excellent leadership and coaching skills.
Bonus Points If
- You have experience writing about large-scale web services (knowledge of HTTP, REST APIs, JSON and Thrift is preferred).
- You have written about or used analytic and database tools (Hive, Presto, Vertica, Jupyter notebooks).
- You have design skills and/or experience conducting user research.
- You have experience with engineering security concepts, standards, and regulations.
About the Team
The Technical Writing team supports Uber's organization-wide technical content strategy, providing expertise in information architecture and writing standards, as well as driving a culture of documentation within Engineering. This enables our tech stack to be efficient, scalable, and sustainable, and Engineering to be nimble. This highly-leveraged team champions developer documentation that is accurate, relevant, clear, and accessible.
We contribute to the infrastructure and development that powers billions of trips, partnerships, and movement of people/food/things around the world. We reach out across the many software engineering teams at Uber globally to discover, assess, and prioritize technical writing needs.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.