About the Role
At JUMP, design engineers lead the technical invention of new product concepts, using their engineering skill to create elegant solutions to problems and refine them into highly manufacturable designs. Our scope is wide and exciting - we engineer our own vehicles, drivetrains, batteries, locks, telecommunications equipment, and charging infrastructure. Across all of this scope, JUMP hardware products must be incredibly intuitive to users, durable for our fleet operators, and easy to manufacture at low cost. Achieving this in a product with our level of advanced technology requires mechanical designs that are brilliantly simple in their initial concept and rigorous in their execution. Equally important is that they are conceived in a way that optimizes for development speed - designs that are quick to test, build upon our existing technology foundation, and leverage a deep understanding of the capabilities of our world-class manufacturing partners. This role is specific to products and solutions to improve our vehicle charging infrastructure.
What You'll Do
- Oversee and design world class charging solutions for all aspects and incarnations of the micro-mobility market
- Use your experience to ensure safety, agency, and jurisdiction compliance in a timely manner
Work closely with adjoining team leaders (ID, electrical, firmware, testing, manufacturing, supply chain) to make the best compromises for the product and JUMP business
What You'll Need
- 5+ years in the product design engineering field - strong preference for EV charging system experience
- 3+ years experience doing design work directly related to charging
- Ruggedized Electro-Mechanical Enclosure System Design
- Architect the layout of micro-mobility charging solutions that can adapt to many end use scenarios
- Design relevant IP & NEMA ratings
- Strong familiarity with regulatory requirements
- Experience with electrical interconnect reliability and sealing
- Knowledge of industry standards
- Deep understanding of relevant manufacturing processes and statistical control
- Strong CAD skills including data management systems
- Mechanical Engineering degree
- 5 years experience with vehicle charging systems, public versions preferred
About the Team
JUMP is building the future of urban mobility: shared electric bikes that are the quickest, most enjoyable, and most empowering way to get around a city. Cheaper than most public transit and faster than cars in traffic, JUMP e-bikes radically improve local transportation. Founded in 2010, JUMP pioneered dockless bike share and has deployed more than 15,000 bikes in 6 countries. Our goal is to transform cities, making them more sustainable, equitable, and livable through electric mobility. Recently acquired by Uber, our next step is to scale what we've done 100x - and launch electric bike sharing systems in every major city, globally. To make this vision a reality we need to grow our team. We place tremendous value on our company's roots and culture: a mix of ingenuity, controlled chaos, hard work, and sense of purpose. This is a great opportunity to join a small but rapidly growing team that is shaping the future of transportation.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.