About the Role
Realizing the vision of urban air mobility in practice and at scale will require both a suite of automated fleet management and air traffic control (Elevate Cloud Services - ECS) as well as advanced perception and autonomy aircraft capabilities. The UAS perception and autonomy engineer will be responsible for generating requirements for these onboard capabilities, participate in selecting suppliers and specific technologies, manage suppliers, validate sensor performance and support the operations team as needed for software and avionics integration.
The initial focus for the role is on small drone capabilities to support delivery operations. That being said, those activities are intended as strategic steps to rapidly enable uberAIR aerial ridesharing product and the position will gradually reflect this product evolution.
What You'll Do
- Support the development of a UAS architecture that efficiently and pragmatically splits functionality between ground segment and aircraft
- Refine airborne platform perception and autonomy requirements
- Support technology and supplier selection to achieve requirements
- Manage selected suppliers for perception and autonomy systems
- As needed, write software to integrate new avionics systems and sensors into the vehicle
- Identify gaps in required functionality and initiate relevant new development activities
- Work with the flight test team to validate the performance of vehicle systems
- Work within the airspace team to develop the safety case for operational approval of vehicle detect-and-avoid systems, obstacle avoidance capabilities, and robust vehicle state estimation. Perform supporting analysis, implement simulation and support flight demonstrations as needed.
- Interface with relevant standards bodies and the FAA as necessary to understand existing requirements and potential future requirements on Uber's vehicle operations
- Assess and pursue near-term opportunities with the FAA and NASA as well as other industry partners to evaluate vehicle systems and make sure the near term plan for ECS-vehicle integration tracks towards the far-term vision
- Assist in the development of ECS capabilities and requirements as they complement the vehicle systems
What You'll Need
- Deep interest and expertise in the aviation industry including experience with aviation robotics/hardware
- A computer science, engineering or related undergraduate degree plus hands-on software and hardware engineering experience
- 5+ years experience building and flight testing aviation hardware and/or robotics systems
- Thorough understanding of the concepts of UAS Traffic Management (UTM) and the functions that vehicle systems are assigned within that ecosystem
About the Team
The ECS development has been kick-started by the airspace systems team, the core software engineering team on Uber Elevate -- our initiative to fast forward to ridesharing in the sky, i.e. urban aviation. The vision of the airspace systems team is to enable safe, reliable, large-scale and efficient airspace operations for Uber Elevate.
In order to accomplish this vision, the team works in coordination with other relevant teams and stakeholders within Elevate (particularly Vehicles, Operations, Design and Data Science), and Uber's core dispatch, marketplace, and security teams as our systems become operational and integrated. The team is based in Palo Alto and San Francisco.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.