We get to make cool software, work with the best people, tackle strategic business challenges and build awesome careers. But, most importantly, we get to see our work strengthen organizations to do heroic work and change the world for the better - all while having a lot of fun in the process.
Galvanize was founded in 1987 in Vancouver, Canada, and has since grown to include seven global offices. We build award-winning, cloud-based security, risk management, compliance, and audit software used by some of the world’s largest organizations. But we don’t just make software. We get to spend our days working with the best customers and coworkers, tackling strategic business challenges and building awesome careers. We help our customers change the world for the better, an idea that drives our company culture. And that means helping to create value and impact for more than 7,000 active customer organizations in 140 countries—so they too can create the future they want to see.
The Challenge Ahead
We have a product development group of 165+ and counting (the company has over 475 employees). We work in small “brigades” comprised of 5 or so Software Engineers, 2 Software Engineer in Test, a Manager, a UX Designer, UX Developer and a Product Designer. It’s our version of a scrum team. To understand more about software development at Galvanize, read Landing your Software Engineering Dream Job. To look through the window into R&D, check out our blog or read these articles: Inside R&D - Brigades, and R&D Baymax Team Spirit.
The R&D team extends beyond the walls of Galvanize and stands on the shoulders of giants. We use the innovation of technology partners like Amazon, select OEMs, and the Open Source Community to ensure we’re meeting our challenges with the most current and effective technologies. We give back by contributing time, code and support to our engineers and across the community. As a DevOps shop, we own what we build. We do not pass it off to others. We maintain it. We continually work to reduce the time required to build and safely deploy software. Security, integrity and performance are not an afterthought. They are built into our development process. We design for growing use. We use tools to continually scan our code base and stay current on patches and upgrades. If a serious vulnerability is discovered we pause everything else and immediately resolve it.
We’re searching for a Senior Software Engineer with extensive experience in Rails, PostgreSQL and AWS. You will work on some of the largest production Rails apps in the industry, with direct access to infrastructure as code built in Ruby that automates our multi-region AWS deployments around the world. You will collaborate with, mentor and guide a team of talented developers to design, build, test and deploy robust, scalable and secure APIs that power visually-stunning user interfaces. You’ll also collaborate across teams to build shared services, seamless integrations, as well as tackle interesting scalability and performance challenges.
Qualifications and Experience:
- You have a Bachelors or Masters degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent experience.
- You have strong ability to coach, mentor and lead fellow developers, provide guidance on technical design and provide constructive code reviews.
- You have experience designing and building large-scale, high availability, secure web applications using Ruby on Rails in an agile environment.
- You have experience building robust, scalable and secure RESTful APIs, working with relational databases (ideally ) and AWS.
- You have experience refactoring large and complex Rails codebase with the help of a strong test suite.
- You write clean code and care deeply about code quality.
- You believe in TDD, and detest having bugs slip through to production.
- You are passionate about learning and continuous improvement.
- You have creative ideas, a collaborative attitude and strong work ethic.
- You have an interest in learning and exploring frontend technologies, especially React and Redux.
- You are actively involved in local meetups and contribute to open source projects.
Are you ready to join?
At Galvanize we are consistently disrupting the category, holding customers core to everything we do and communicating with each other from the heart! If you are looking for real purpose in your life and want to play your part in making the world a better place, then this might be the home for you!
Please note that due to the high volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted. We thank you for your interest and invite you to continue to check us out on wegalvanize.com as we are always on the hunt for great talent! Follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, or Instagram to see what we’re up to
Galvanize welcomes applications from all candidates who meet our job requirements. Galvanize does not discriminate based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, disability, genetic characteristics or a conviction for which a pardon has been granted or a record suspended.