Our mission is to be the catalyst for massive, measurable, data-informed healthcare improvement through:
Data: integrate data in a flexible, open & scalable platform to power healthcare’s digital transformation
Analytics: deliver analytic applications & services that generate insight on how to measurably improve
Expertise: provide clinical, financial & operational experts who enable & accelerate improvement
Engagement: attract, develop and retain world-class team members by being a best place to work
The Technical Director (TD) is ultimately responsible for Health Catalyst client’s success with utilizing the Health Catalyst’s Data Operation System (DOS) - a data-first, analytics and application software development platform. The TD directs the deployment of the DOS platform at the client, verifies best practices are being utilized, and is accountable for the health and adoption of DOS. The TD manages client expectations and timelines around the platform deliverables. The TD is seen by the client as one who has extensive operational experience running a Data Warehouse and has experience with a depth of technical items around security, networking, storage, and SQL Server/Azure components and performance.
For each Health Catalyst (HC) client, the TD will work with an Engagement Lead from Health Catalyst. The TD supports the EL in key areas, including technical strategic planning around DOS, the Catalyst platform deployments, communicating deployment status to client senior leadership and training on platform tools and technologies. The TD may further support the EL through presentations to client executive leadership.
The TD role is a highly visible and influential role. TDs interface with a variety of HC roles (such as engagement coordinators, product line managers, developers, etc.) on an as needed basis to support optimal deployment of DOS and its applications.
Duties & Responsibilities
Technical expert – Work closely with the Platform Engineering teams and other Technology Product Line teams and is an expert in all things related to the Catalyst platform. Aid in guiding platform engineering teams with client feedback and own personal findings to provide improvements and enhancements to the platform. Communicate effectively to clients surrounding the current and future development roadmaps. Work directly on implementing client solutions to meet deadlines. Will have hands on experience performing the work of ingesting data into DOS, but will also be assisted by fellow Catalyst team members to do this work. DOS strategy development and execution – The TD represents DOS and the Catalyst platform at the client. The TD works closely with the client to ensure they understand and follow best practices of using DOS, its tools and also identify ways on how the client gets more usage of DOS. Knowledge transfer and training – Direct, provide, and oversee training of client staff with the platform tools and methodologies. Ensure knowledge transfer to the client around technical deployment, positions the client for long-term success with DOS and its tools. Technical risk assessment and mitigation – Proactively identify roadblocks interfering with technical project deliverables and provide viable solutions to keep project on track. Troubleshoot issues and communicate risks to client and Catalyst leadership. Diplomatically address concerns while establishing and promoting a transparent environment for problem resolution. Help develop strategy to address client needs. Project status communication – Clearly articulate to executive sponsorship teams, the status of the technical projects. Provide insight to any additional support needed for a viable success of the implementation. Actively participate in relevant internal meetings, providing feedback on processes and strategic operations issues. Provide feedback on client project status and relationship to Catalyst leadership.
- Applied technical experience with: SQL, ETL development, database structures, data modeling, hosted solutions.
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills with being able to dig deeper to identify SQL Server/Azure performance issues and root cause the issue.
- Must have strong understanding of data warehousing and analytic principles and possess the ability to explain general data warehousing concepts to technical and non-technical people.
- Strong communication and negotiation skills; ability to anticipate, diffuse and/or manage conflict resolution. Ability to lead and support technical resources through tenuous situations.
- Ability to mentor/train/educate others, including technical (data engineers) and others who are non-technical (e.g., clinicians, physicians, executives).
- Advanced interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively guide and facilitate meetings.
- Experience in agile methodology and project management. Manage and direct checkpoint meetings with client teams.
- Ability to adapt quickly and change direction as needed to address client needs while still meeting deadlines.
- Ability to champion Catalyst architecture, methodologies and technologies to client staff. Develop plans around resistance management to establish buy-in from client technical leadership and staff.
- Ability to learn new software tools/technologies quickly and ask for help or training when necessary.
- Advanced decision-making skills. Can assimilate complex information to understand core issues, develop proposed solutions that align with Catalyst methodologies and support long-term interests of the client.
- Ability to collaborate with EL and client to prioritize the project management deliverables and understand risk and/or impact.
Education & Relevant Experience
- Required - Bachelor’s degree, preferably in related field such as computer science/information systems or demonstrated equivalent work experience.
- Preferred - Graduate degree in related field (e.g., MCS, MIS, MBA with focus on IS, Masters of Healthcare Administration, MS Informatics).
- Required: Combination of 5+ years’ work experience in data warehousing technologies such as SQL, Hadoop/Spark, Big data, Azure, ETL, data modeling.
- 1 -2 years’ experience working with technical (hardware, system administrator, networking, cloud services, etc.) teams preferred.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed in this job function. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, and indeed additional responsibilities may be assigned by Health Catalyst.
At Health Catalyst, we appreciate the opportunity to benefit from the diverse backgrounds and experiences of others. Because of our deep commitment to respect every individual, Health Catalyst is an equal opportunity employer.