About the Role
At Uber Elevate, we are working toward transforming the world through urban aerial transportation at scale. Our engineering team is building products that deliver the end-user experience for UberAIR (passenger-carrying) and Drone Delivery (food-carrying) operations.
The backend engineer will focus on developing systems that integrate with a spectrum of real-time and historical data services to support mission-critical business decisions for airspace operations.
What You'll Do
- Collaborate with Product Managers and Designers to define end-user experience.
- Understand the capabilities and limitations of existing architectures and evolve them to satisfy future product requirements.
- Ensure resilient operations even when system degrades. Innovate reliable monitoring, deployment and fault detection infrastructure to support the airspace operations.
- Build high performance distributed systems that can scale to 100,000s QPS.
- Mentor engineers in the craftsmanship of architecture, design, code, and operations.
What You'll Need
- Customer obsession and ability to collaborate with product managers and designers to balance quality, speed and scalability.
- Bias toward action. You believe that speed and quality aren't mutually exclusive. You've shown good judgment about shipping as fast as possible while ensuring your products and platforms are built in a sustainable, responsible way--and you're comfortable making mistakes, provided you learn from them.
- At least 4+ years of backend development
Bonus Points If
- Experience with large scale data processing, geospatial datasets and services such as maps, GPS traces etc.
- Experience with frontend or mobile (Android/iOS) development.
About the Team
The candidate will be assigned to the software engineering org within Elevate and report to the Engineering Manager, Airspace Systems. The candidate will closely collaborate with other engineers, data scientists, product managers and designers to deliver on their day-to-day goals. The candidate will need to thrive in a fast moving and multidisciplinary environment.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.