About the Role
Uber ATG SF is seeking an Engineering Manager with strong technical knowledge and people management experience to join our team. Working at the intersection of technology and people, you will balance long-term direction, technical guidance, health of the team, and individual careers of team members to ensure success in all these dimensions.
What You'll Do
- Learn from world-renowned technologists on autonomy technology in ATG and large scale distributed systems that power Uber's sharing platform
- Have opportunity to put your touch from product conceptualization to engineering execution
- See your work deployed fast and often into the real world and stretch yourself as you switch from one tough problem to another
- Leverage your strong technical expertise and experience in building the best platform and applications to advance self-driving technology
- Work with an outstanding engineering team and grow each member and the team
- Benefit from working at a dynamic startup inside an established, well-capitalized company
What You'll Need
- Strong technical skills: Well versed in distributed system architecture design, proficient in coding, keen sense of making effective engineering choices to realize product requirements
- People management experience: You have the management playbook to nurture careers, manage under and over-performers, influence cross-functional teams, and recruit and build teams
- Product and business acumen: Whether you're working on an API used by other developers, an internal tool consumed by our operation teams, or a feature used by millions of customers, your attention to details leads to a delightful user experience
- Fast learner: We're looking for an Engineering Manager who thrives on learning new technologies and doesn't believe in one-size-fits-all solutions -- you should be able to adapt easily to meet the needs of our massive growth and rapidly evolving business environment
- Action: You think a working proof-of-concept is the best way to make a point, and you thrive on the belief that quality doesn't have to be compromised to achieve speed - you can have both at the same time
- Passion: You feel ownership over everything you ship; you'd never call code "released" until you're sure it's correct; you pride yourself on efficient monitoring, excellent documentation, and proper test coverage
- Team player mentality: You believe that you can achieve more on a team - that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts
About the Team
At the Advanced Technologies Group (ATG), we are building technologies that will transform the way the world moves. Our teams in Pittsburgh, San Francisco, and Toronto are dedicated to mapping, software and hardware development, vehicle safety, and operations for self-driving technology. Our teams are passionate about developing a self-driving system that will one day move people and things around more safely, efficiently, and cost effectively.
At Uber, we believe technology has the power to make transportation more efficient, accessible, and safer than ever before. Self-driving technology has the potential to make these benefits an everyday reality for our customers, but it's not going to happen overnight. Building best-in-class self-driving technology will take time, and safety is our priority every step of the way. Operating inclusively and transparently, while displaying responsible behavior in a structured development are critical to safety. We at ATG seek candidates who will role model these values.
Engineering Managers are responsible for leading teams that build software on and off the Autonomous Vehicle. We have opportunities in both Pittsburgh and San Francisco.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.