About the Role
As an Engineering Manager within Uber Freight, you are expected to serve as a servant leader to your team of talented software engineers. Our team is tasked with changing the way the logistics and freight industry works: building apps that empower drivers to find and move freight efficiently, allow our shippers to have more transparency into the process, and arm our Operations Teams with the best automation and force multipliers Uber can offer.
You will be leading an area of our overall product strategy, setting the pace for taking projects from concept to release. Working alongside the product, design and operations teams, you'll determine the best ways to increase user growth and engagement. Finally, you'll join other technical leaders within engineering to ensure that this platform scales as we rapidly grow our business and our team. A strong background in software engineering is necessary in this role, but a desire to understand the business, as well as a keen sense of self-awareness and innate EQ are equally valued.
What You'll Do
- Uphold Uber Engineering's technical and user-experience excellence.
- Manage and mentor a team of software engineers, looking out for their career progression and skills development.
- Work with business stakeholders to determine product roadmap and schedule.
- Holding motivational team meetings, effective 1:1's, sprint/task planning, and performing code reviews as required.
- Help define the culture and uphold the processes that will shape the future of our growing team.
What You'll Need
- 3+ years of experience as a technical leader and manager.
- 5+ years as a hands-on, technical individual contributor, having played technical leadership roles on projects and features.
- Experience going through the full software cycle of requirements, design, coding/testing, rollout/deploy best practices in delivering world class software and services.
- Strong people management skills including growing and mentoring your team members.
- Experience evolving and presenting a strong vision/roadmap for your team.
- Passion about your team's mission and the self-starting personality to make things happen.
- A track record of delivering results even when requirements are under-specified.
- Solid programming skills in Go, Java, Python, or similar.
- Strong systems design experience, having built server-backed mobile and/or web applications.
Preferred Skills & Knowledge
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related technical field.
- Previous experience with freight or logistics brokerage industry a plus.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.