About the Role
As the Engineering Manager of the Uber Order Platform team, you will be focused on building the next generation commerce platform for Uber for new Uber and partner products. You will be motivating, mentoring, and empowering Engineers who bring these products to life, touching millions of customers' lives in the process.
You bring deep technical skills in all areas of high-scale backend distributed systems engineering, excellent communication skills, a focused and empathetic approach to leadership and consensus building, and a bold attitude for bias for action toward complex cross-functional engineering problems for consumer products.
What You'll Do
- Be a significant contributor and co-owner for the new commerce platform design.
- Work cross-functionally with Engineering teams, PMs, TPMs, drive design conversations and build consensus, relentlessly take bias for action and constantly deliver value.
- Work closely with your's and other engineering teams with a keen eye towards scalable architecture to design and implement new 0 -> 1 integrations with an appetite to quickly scale from 1 -> n across multiple international markets.
- Evangelize your team and the products you own to both internal and external candidates, engineers, and leadership.
- Move fast in converting new ideas to product collaborating with Product, Research, Data, Marketing and other functions, while maintaining high product quality and reliability.
- Staying ahead of the curve by lending a stable structure to the teams and products while bringing operational excellence as products mature.
What You'll Need
- 4 Minimum Years of Experience with Engineering Management, Backend, Consumer Product Development at an Internet-scale company
- 5+ years experience developing software as an IC engineer. Exceptional technical skills in backend: Uber managers can lead from the front when the situation calls for it.
- Significant experience building and operating critical high-scale distributed systems
- Has great software engineering methodology - meaningful and deeply - rooted opinions about testing and code quality, ability to make sound quality/speed trade-offs
- Great management and team development skills: hiring and attracting the best, ability to set roadmap and goals for a high-performing engineering team and every one of its members, delegate intelligently, mentor engineers with a personal touch and empathy, deliver frequent, constructive and honest feedback, help team members grow in their careers, and deliver results.
- Both a passion for user experience and system design, as well as a strategic, growth-centric outlook on scaling new products
- A love for the unknown or technical ambiguities. Note that this is core team which many teams know, interact, and have respect for its technical process and domain knowledge. But we are getting into new territories building our historic success. Maintaining our roots and extending to new charters is an exciting time for us.
- Ability to drive cross-functional stakeholder buy-in across multiple Engineering organizations, regions, etc. We work very closely with many engineering teams. We earned significant respect among Uber engineers. We need an engineering leader who can take that to the next level.
- Strong data-driven prioritization skills and unafraid to push back to any level of authority with professionalism, when things don't look right.
What You'll Need
- 7 Minimum Years of Experience with Distributed Systems, Cloud, OOP, High-SCale
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.