About the Role
As a leader within the Core Infrastructure team, you'll be responsible for evolving our primary storage solutions to the next level of scalability, reliability, efficiency, performance and security--with a particular emphasis on making these systems straightforward and productive to use for Uber's thousands of engineers.
The Storgate team serves as the interface between Uber's backend storage and the applications that use them. The team adapts and integrates both in-house and open source Storage systems to present coherent, flexible, and self-service offerings that integrate naturally into the core applications powering Uber to maximize developer velocity.
You will have an opportunity to solve many hard problems in the distributed storage universe. You'll also help craft the long-term vision and strategy for the Storage org by collaborating with important stakeholders within Uber.
What You'll Do
What You'll Need
- At least 3 years experience managing and at least 5 years experience as an individual technical contributor with distributed backend systems.
- Excellent educational background in a quantitative field, such as Computer Science or Mathematics.
- Familiarity with modern distributed data storage/processing systems
- Strong enthusiasm for helping engineers get the utmost power and productivity from storage when building their applications.
- Prior management and team-building experience. You'll be managing a mid-sized team initially and will have the opportunity to scale and build out a high-performing team.
- To be persuasive, patient, compassionate and possess exquisite prioritization skills: At Uber, managers are judged based on their ability to identify opportunities and lead/grow engineers through efficient execution.
- To be biased toward action. You must be able be able to do more with less and turn would-be blockers into opportunities for growth.
- Excellent execution, organization, and ability to collaborate. To be successful in this role, you should be comfortable executing with little oversight and be able to adapt to problems quickly.
- A strategic mindset. You're comfortable thinking a few steps ahead of where the team is at now.
- To be principled yet pragmatic. A qualified candidate will have conviction and be authentic in their approach, but situationally aware enough to adapt when needed.
About the Team
As a manager within Infrastructure you will have a significant impact on the evolution of Uber's backend teams and architecture. At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world, and we need people who are excited to build the dependable foundation that supports that vision.
Uber Infrastructure is comprised of several key areas:
- Storage: Storage-as-a-service; MySQL, Cassandra, Schemaless, Redis, Elasticsearch, Storage Gateways, Stateful Management, Portal.
- Compute: Job scheduling and containerization; Docker, Mesos, Aurora.
- Networking: Software-defined traffic control and RPC frameworks; Golang, Zookeeper, gRPC.
- Performance: Distributed systems, tracing, profiling, system performance; Golang, Java, C++
We're bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need your skills and passion to help make it happen!
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog and @UberEng to learn more about the team.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.