About the Role
Innovation engineers build prototypes to test out-of-the-box, futuristic solutions to the biggest problems and opportunities posed to Uber by emerging technological advances. The domain of exploration will be quite varied and will require an ability to understand, investigate, and implement prototypes across a wide range of different technologies.
We are seeking senior and staff level engineers who can ensure that Uber stays ahead of the competition by identifying the unique possibilities presented by rapidly developing technology and turning those possibilities into reality.
What You'll Need
This role will require a wide variety of skills and techniques. We're looking for candidates with the following technical qualifications:
- Significant experience in software engineering and OOP
- Preferred to have deep experience with Java and Go
- Strong preference for either physical product experience, mobile development, or full stack
- Familiarity with high-scale relational databases (e.g. PostgreSQL, MySQL, Cassandra, Hbase, etc.)
- Familiarity with big data batch processing (MapReduce) or streaming frameworks.
Candidates must be able to:
- Dive into any technical area and understand capabilities, limitations, and integration possibilities.
- Be comfortable with ambiguity and taking risks
- Have the ability to prototype quickly and evaluate ideas strategically.
- Demonstrate a strong product sense and work closely with product managers in the team and across Uber
- Have the ability to take projects from 0 to 1 in multiple fields in a short time period.
What You'll Do
- Implement rapid prototypes that use emerging technology solutions to solve Uber's most important problems
- Integrate potential solutions into the Uber app suite to gain real-world data as quickly as possible
- Work closely with product, design, and data science to iterate solutions quickly to find an optimal product-market fit
- Evaluate a wide range of technological solutions, both internally and externally generated.
- Research emerging technological trends and assess applicability to Uber's global range of technical challenges.
About the Team
The Office of the CTO (OCTO) has established an initiative to drive innovation across the company. This initiative will take many forms including building a full-time Innovation team within OCTO itself. The mission of this team is to tackle the hardest technical challenges of disruptive technology and determine if they are surmountable.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.