About the Role
As a backend engineer on the Storgate team, you'll develop systems that are the interface between Uber's application developers and the underlying storage systems offered by our Storage Platform team (of which Storage is a part).
This is a unique opportunity to combine a deep knowledge of distributed and database systems with a passion for making developers happier and more productive in working with such systems. You will have a direct impact on how quickly and robustly Uber engineers can build some of our most business-critical applications.
What You'll Do
- Design, implement, test and roll out the next generations of our infrastructure at Uber, meeting high standards of performance, reliability, and usability.
- Collaborate with others, both from Storage Platform and from application engineering teams, to ensure that the infrastructure we're building works seamlessly across storage backends and best serves application engineers.
- Mentor more junior engineers, guiding their work and supporting their professional development.
- Contribute to enhancing the team's technical and organizational culture; serve as a role model to others.
What You'll Need
- Bachelor's degree or higher in an engineering field (e.g. Computer Science, Computer Engineering, etc.).
- 5+ years of relevant engineering experience.
- Experience in at least one of scalable storage and developer tooling.
- Experience with multiple programming languages. We use Go, Java, and Python.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to write detailed technical documents.
- Passionate about building systems that are both powerful and easy to use.
Bonus Points If You Have
- Experience in both scalable storage and developer tooling.
- Experience building systems used by a large number (1000s) of engineers, whether internal or external.