About the Role
The Uber Technical Program Management (TPM) team plays a critical role executing high-impact company-wide initiatives and continuously improving process to increase the effectiveness of our product and engineering organizations.
The Rider Pricing team is building a unified, foundational tech platform to power both base and surge pricing engines that drive product pricing for millions of rides every week across some 600+ global markets. These systems play a crucial role in executing a base pricing strategy in service of Uber's business objectives and maintaining a healthy, balanced marketplaces with surge pricing. The Rider Pricing systems interface with and inform Upfront Fares (UFP) that are then presented to the rider in the app.
The TPM for this role will wear multiple hats, including but not limited to driving a cohesive vision and roadmap for the foundational layers of the pricing stack and ensuring that the team executes against that roadmap with high velocity. This role is highly cross functional, and this TPM will be equally adept at whiteboarding designs with engineers and data scientists as they would be working with product managers on Rider Pricing and across Marketplace. Through these interactions, they will drive roadmap alignment across Rider Pricing and bring clarity to day to day prioritization and execution of the Rider Pricing team.
What You'll Do
TPMs move fluidly from the big picture to details so that the team can deliver complex and strategic cross-functional projects, often with tight deadlines. You are a bridge and a connector for the company, thrive in a dynamic work environment, and are able to juggle and prioritize multiple projects with ease. You are intuitive, focused, driven, organized, insightful and productive. You break through communication issues and effectively develop relationships with stakeholders at all levels of the organization. You build trust across the organization. You are not afraid to be direct, but you strive to act with empathy and integrity. TPM work involves the following:
- Project manage complex and large scale cross-team, cross-functional initiatives. Interface with engineering managers and engineers to estimate work efforts, define milestones and manage resources. Track progress, resolve dependencies, evaluate risks and communicate status to upper management and project stakeholders. Engage and energize the project teams to achieve aggressive goals.
- Proactively remove obstacles to drive momentum and progress. Identify communication gaps, manage issue escalations and provide support to teams balancing competing priorities. Drive results proactively.
- Understand technical implementation at the architecture level and propose technical alternatives when necessary. Ask questions that clarify priorities and push the team to be highly effective. Develop broad domain and technical knowledge.
- Help manage the cross-functional strategic planning and business planning process, leading conversations with key stakeholders to develop concepts for strategic initiatives, and developing those into detailed program / project plans (including roadmaps, funding planning, resource planning and hiring goals).
Continuously improve and scale the organization. Implement continuous improvements to the engineering organization and the program management process. Share program/project process frameworks, tools, and best practices that can be adopted throughout the organization. Improve product development and delivery. Mentor project management skills within our engineering leadership team.
Here are the skills and experiences we're looking for:
Desired but not required:
- Computer Science degree, or related field
- Worked at a high paced, fast growing, scrappy tech startup
- Developer experience, including writing, testing and deploying code