About the job
Simulation is a critical strategy employed in the overall development and testing of autonomous vehicles in a safe and scalable manner. Being able to develop & test self driving vehicle behavior in simulation virtually, prior to releasing the vehicle on the roads will accelerate the path to safer, smarter self-driving vehicles.
As the PM for Simulation products, you will have an opportunity to shape the direction of some ground breaking technology to build scalable and robust self driving vehicle simulation toolset and products. You will get to work on software tools to create virtual worlds, cloud services, metrics and analytics toolsets. You will be tasked with understanding the needs of your customers spanning autonomy developers, test creators, scenario production operators etc. and translating it into an overall product strategy and then executing on the strategy by working closely with Design & Engineering.
You are expected to have a keen eye on metrics to drive product decisions that manage trade-offs between cost, speed and scale of running simulations. Lastly, you will always truth-seek to new opportunities to accelerate high quality development & deployment of Simulation at Uber ATG.
What You'll Do
- Internalize and champion the Simulation vision, strategy, and roadmap while also driving planning, prioritization, and execution
- Develop products while obsessing over the needs of our customers and end users, particularly our internal autonomy and R&D teams
- Work closely with Design to conduct user studies, structure user and customer analysis, and synthesize results into guiding principles for product development
- Partner with Engineering to assess feasibility and build the products forming new simulation toolset.
- Understand the greater business objectives within various areas of Uber ATG and Uber and how those objectives impact the team's mission
- Define and document product and process requirements throughout the platform pipeline based on customer and user needs as well as technological feasibility and resource constraints
- Collaborate closely with operations teams to enhance tool usability, workflow efficiency, and quality
- Define and analyze metrics that inform the success of the products and projects
- Communicate team's strategy, roadmap, plans, and priorities to numerous stakeholders
What You'll Need
Team building, inclusiveness:
- Demonstrates personal excellence with empathy, authenticity, inclusivity, fairness, and trust
- Develops and coaches, invests time in and supports the development of others
- Natural tendency to create a community for those on your team and those with whom you interface
User insight & communicating vision:
- User-focused - you are passionate about always making the user experience positive and relentlessly seek to solve any product challenges that impact users negatively
- Lead the creation of pragmatic, prioritized, actionable roadmaps that effectively distill vision and strategy into efficiently shipped product results
- Be deeply truth-seeking. Collect whatever data is necessary to inform product direction, whether in qualitative or quantitative form
- Strong ability to clearly communicate product plans, benefits and results to a spectrum of audiences
- Collaborate with Uber internal stakeholders, including the engineering, operations, testing legal, and policy teams to ensure that our technology supports Uber's business objectives
- Demonstrated ability to lead and execute multiple cross-functional projects
- Fosters collaboration within and across teams as well as driving cross-functional teams to set qualitative objectives and quantitative goals
- Technical skills, you have an interest in understanding how things work and the effect on the finished product
- Computer science undergraduate degree or equivalent plus hands-on software engineering experience
- Lead the team to effectively build, ship, experiment, measure, and grow new products
- Be creative - relentlessly identify new ideas and data sources to solve very difficult problems
- Biased toward action, great collaborator and master disambiguator/simplifier - constantly pushing toward clarity and delivery