We get to make cool software, work with the best people, tackle strategic business challenges and build awesome careers. But, most importantly, we get to see our work strengthen organizations to do heroic work and change the world for the better - all while having a lot of fun in the process.
Galvanize was founded in 1987 in Vancouver, Canada, and has since grown to include seven global offices. We build award-winning, cloud-based security, risk management, compliance, and audit software used by some of the world’s largest organizations. But we don’t just make software. We get to spend our days working with the best customers and coworkers, tackling strategic business challenges and building awesome careers. We help our customers change the world for the better, an idea that drives our company culture. And that means helping to create value and impact for more than 7,000 active customer organizations in 140 countries—so they too can create the future they want to see.
The Challenge Ahead
We have a product development group of 165+ and counting (the company has over 475 employees). To understand more about software development at Galvanize, read Landing your Software Engineering Dream Job. To look through the window into R&D, check out our blog or read these articles: Inside R&D - Brigades, and R&D Baymax Team Spirit.
You will be part of our platform team, responsible and accountable for building services and solutions that tightly use AWS capabilities to the benefit of the entire ACL platform. You will write code, often in a serverless fashion, QA team members' code, and demo at the end of each dash (a dash is like a sprint); all that differs from you and other software engineers is that the solutions you build are not for a particular product, but for our platform and how services interact together. You are not considered a "DevOps" engineer, rather you are a solid application developer, and you are really interested in how the platform operates.
- A Leader - Planning and theories only get us so far. We need someone that will execute, encourage those around them, and work as a team to build great software.
- A Disruptive Innovator - You are not afraid to look at things differently and implement better ways to do them. You have an innate desire to move the needle when it comes to the performance of your team and our product platform.
- A Communicator - You have professional interactions with fellow team members and customers. You are an influencer and motivator, able to encourage others and defuse a tense situation. You explain the problems we are solving and why they are important. Good communication is what makes that possible.
- A Collaborator - You will be working with smart people. This includes other ACL leaders, software engineers, Software Engineers in Test, as well as product managers and UX designers. There will be back and forth sharing of ideas and constant feedback. You are comfortable defending your ideas, but also be willing to move on if a different direction is required. As Jeff Bezos says, “disagree and commit.”
- A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science (or equivalent experience)
- Strong understanding of continuous delivery and how containers (aka. Docker) can be used in continuous delivery
- Experience developing web applications, ideally using Node.js or Ruby on Rails
- Familiarity of a cloud platform, ideally AWS, and how to leverage it to implement solutions
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Have creative ideas, a collaborative attitude, and strong work ethics
- Software engineering chops (architecture, algorithms, languages)
- Focus on creating simple, elegant solutions to solve problems
Are you ready to join?
At Galvanize we are consistently disrupting the category, holding customers core to everything we do and communicating with each other from the heart! If you are looking for real purpose in your life and want to play your part in making the world a better place, then this might be the home for you!
Please note that due to the high volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted. We thank you for your interest and invite you to continue to check us out on wegalvanize.com as we are always on the hunt for great talent! Follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, or Instagram to see what we’re up to
Galvanize welcomes applications from all candidates who meet our job requirements. Galvanize does not discriminate based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, disability, genetic characteristics or a conviction for which a pardon has been granted or a record suspended.