Responsible for negotiating, structuring, and/or administrating contractual documents that establish business relationships with vendors, customers and partners, with a focus on the Company’s fast-growing Health business unit. Legal support for the Company’s mergers and acquisitions, strategic investments, joint ventures and other corporate transactions. Works with sales, service, and business development teams to structure contracts. Analyzes contracts to ensure compliance to company policy, government specifications and other requirements.
The Legal Counsel provides a leadership role with respect to negotiating, drafting and managing legal contracts for the Company, with a focus on the Company’s fast-growing Health business unit. Beside working closely with Appriss Health, this position will work closely with other Company leaders involved with M&A and complex transactions across the business, including cross-functional groups (e.g., Finance, IT, HR) and the integration team. The role, like others in the Legal Department, will be engaged with most legal matters for the Company including, as necessary, data privacy, litigation, corporate governance, risk management, facilities management, compliance, employment matters, intellectual property and miscellaneous matters as determined by the Senior Vice President and General Counsel.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Primary legal support for the Company’s Health business unit, with particular emphasis on Health contracts and compliance matters.
- Active engagement on M&A transactions, from NDA through integration.
- Communicates, facilitates, prioritizes, and problem-solves with Legal staff and internal clients to ensure quality, efficient, and cost-effective support is provided, and respond to contracts and process issues.
- Makes decisions and takes action consistent with available facts, constraints and anticipated consequences.
- Actively participates and provides recommendations related to new processes and system implementations or enhancements to existing systems.
- Establishes and implements project management plans for complex projects
- Researches regulatory and compliance issues, including statutes, cases, status of pending matters, administrative rules and decisions, and pending legislation, and provides initial analysis for review by SVP and General Counsel.
- Researches local, state, and federal licensing renewal requirements and other regulatory compliance requirements as they relate to registration and license renewals, and, as assigned, prepares and files corporate, administrative and licensing registration, and renewal forms to maintain existing licenses.
- Assists in handling matters including filings, compliance, complaints and inquiries, examinations, and licensing.
- Assists in handling and responding to disputes and litigation matters, including subpoenas and internal investigations.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited US college or university;
- Law degree from an accredited US law school.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Experience, or Characteristics
- At least 3 years of experience with a law firm or in-house legal department.
- Relevant contracts, corporate and M&A legal experience.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel;
- Strong drafting and negotiation skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills; attention to detail and accuracy in work. The legal team is very operational focused and partners across the company to help deliver success.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to perform successfully in a fast-paced environment with cross functional teams.
- Experience with legal and regulatory issues regarding HIPAA and health care data, as well as other laws regarding data use, privacy and security.
Physical and Mental Requirements
Job is physically comfortable; individual has discretion about walking, standing, etc.
Job requires a high level of judgment, analytical ability and creativity, such as investigating moderately complex problems or situations, analyzing information and recommending solutions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Some travel may be involved for both training and customer facing issues.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.