Our mission is to be the catalyst for massive, measurable, data-informed healthcare improvement through:
Data: integrate data in a flexible, open & scalable platform to power healthcare’s digital transformation
Analytics: deliver analytic applications & services that generate insight on how to measurably improve
Expertise: provide clinical, financial & operational experts who enable & accelerate improvement
Engagement: attract, develop and retain world-class team members by being a best place to work
As the Data Engineer for Touchstone, you will contribute to the acquisition, enhancement, and quality of the Touchstone dataset. You will partner with the Director of Data Products and Director of Data Quality to create tools and processes that allow us to scale the Touchstone dataset, including working directly with Touchstone customers to transform their source data into highly curated healthcare data. You will also be responsible for creating insights that demonstrate the power of the Touchstone dataset to transform our understanding of health and healthcare.
This role is a great fit for someone who has significant data engineering experience in the healthcare space. The work that the Data Engineer performs will have immediate impact on healthcare providers, payers, life sciences organizations, and patients through the insights that are found in the Touchstone dataset.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Leverage the Touchstone data pipeline to ingest and aggregate data from Health Catalyst customers and 3rd Parties into the Touchstone Azure environment.
- Create analytics, tools, and processes to proactively monitor the quality of the Touchstone data asset through partnership with the Director of Data Quality.
- Partner with the Director of Data Products to enhance the Touchstone dataset through 3rd party datasets and terminology.
- Collaborate with Technical Directors and Data Engineers deployed to Health Catalyst clients to align on priorities and approach for contributing to data acquisition and enhancement activities.
- Communicate project plan to client teams, including discussing the benefits of a homogenous and extended set of data elements, and bringing in colleagues across Life Sciences and other DOS Mart product leads as appropriate to communicate value proposition.
Relevant Skills and Experience
- Deep experience with SQL, database systems, and ETL data pipelines, including excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills, e.g. capable of analyzing the root cause of database system issues
- Strong understanding of data warehousing and analytic principles and possess the ability to explain general data warehousing concepts to technical and non-technical people.
- Exposure to cloud infrastructure and distributed database technology i.e. Azure SQL Data Warehouse
- Experience developing analytics and reporting using tools such as Qlik/Tableu, Power BI, Jupyter Notebooks, etc.
- Experience with flat file ETL
- Knowledge of healthcare-related ontologies/terminologies (ICD, LOINC, RxNorm, etc.) a plus
- Python or R experience a plus
Education & Relevant Experience
- BS in Computer Science, Health Informatics, or related field
- 2+ years of experience working in a SQL-based data engineering role
- 2+ years of experience with clinical/healthcare data
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed in this job function. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, and indeed additional responsibilities may be assigned by Health Catalyst.
At Health Catalyst, we appreciate the opportunity to benefit from the diverse backgrounds and experiences of others. Because of our deep commitment to respect every individual, Health Catalyst is an equal opportunity employer.