We get to make cool software, work with the best people, tackle strategic business challenges and build awesome careers. But, most importantly, we get to see our work strengthen organizations to do heroic work and change the world for the better - all while having a lot of fun in the process.
Galvanize was founded in 1987 in Vancouver, Canada, and has since grown to include seven global offices. We build award-winning, cloud-based security, risk management, compliance, and audit software used by some of the world’s largest organizations. But we don’t just make software. We get to spend our days working with the best customers and coworkers, tackling strategic business challenges and building awesome careers. We help our customers change the world for the better, an idea that drives our company culture. And that means helping to create value and impact for more than 7,000 active customer organizations in 140 countries—so they too can create the future they want to see.
The Challenge Ahead
The R&D team extends beyond the walls of Galvanize and stands on the shoulders of giants. We use the innovation of technology partners like Amazon, select OEMs, and the Open Source Community to ensure we’re meeting our challenges with the most current and effective technologies. We give back by contributing time, code and support to our engineers and across the community.
To understand more about software development at Galvanize, read Landing your Software Engineering Dream Job. To look through the window into R&D, check out our blog or read these articles: Inside R&D Part I — Brigades, and R&D Baymax Team Spirit.
At Galvanize we own what we build. We do not pass it off to others. We maintain it. We continually work to reduce the time required to build and safely deploy software. Security, integrity and performance are not an afterthought. They are built into our development process. We design for growing use. We use tools to continually scan our code base and stay current on patches and upgrades. If a serious vulnerability is discovered, we pause everything else and immediately resolve it.
We have a product development group of 165+ and counting (the company has over 475 employees and counting). We work in small “brigades” comprised of 5 or so Software Engineers, 2 Software Engineers in Test, a Manager, a UX Designer, UX Developer and a Product Manager. It’s our version of a scrum team.
We are searching for a new Software Engineer in Test (SET) with an obsession for detail and a love for code to build quality into our continuous delivery process. A SET at Galvanize has direct impact on both our customers and the development team they work with.
Your core responsibility is to ensure that our customers always see the product at its best by:
- Working with product designers to understand the customer's perspective of the features we build, and translating requirements to test plans
- Evaluating risks in the system and planning monitoring and continuous testing to mitigate those risks
- Coding automated tests and tools that adhere to the same coding rigor as the products we deliver to customers
- Collaborating with fellow engineers to understand development pain points and creating tooling to increase development and testing efficiency
- Creating metrics and monitoring in development, staging, and production to ensure our systems are operating at their peak
- Fostering a quality mindset in the team by working closely with the application developers and championing initiatives that improve development efficiency
Qualifications, Experience, and Abilities;
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent experience
- Experience developing software in a *nix environment
- Experience with standard QA tools and practices, such as functional API testing, integration testing, and UI functionality and usability testing, with a passion for automation
- Experience in developing automation tests, automation tools and test frameworks
- Experience with test driven development and establishing integration test infrastructures
- Knowledge of professional software engineering best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control, build and release processes, continuous deployment, and test suite development and maintenance
- Good understanding of modern web application components and common web security vulnerabilities
- Experience testing in a service-oriented architecture
- Experience in communicating with engineers, other technical teams and management to collect requirements, evaluate alternatives and develop processes and tools as needed to support the development process.
- Experienced in interacting and coordinating test development activities across multiple teams
- You are actively involved in the tech community and contribute to open source project we can look at on Github.
Are you ready to join?
At Galvanize we are consistently disrupting the category, holding customers core to everything we do and communicating with each other from the heart! If you are looking for real purpose in your life and want to play your part in making the world a better place, then this might be the home for you!
Please note that due to the high volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted. We thank you for your interest and invite you to continue to check us out on wegalvanize.com as we are always on the hunt for great talent! Follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, or Instagram to see what we’re up to.
Galvanize welcomes applications from all candidates who meet our job requirements. Galvanize does not discriminate based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, disability, genetic characteristics or a conviction for which a pardon has been granted or a record suspended.