Silk Road Medical, Inc. is a public medical device company located in Sunnyvale, California, that is focused on reducing the risk of stroke and its devastating impact. The company has pioneered a new approach for the treatment of carotid artery disease called TransCarotid Artery Revascularization (TCAR). TCAR is a clinically proven procedure combining surgical principles of neuroprotection with minimally invasive endovascular techniques to treat blockages in the carotid artery at risk of causing a stroke.
We are looking for a Vice President, International Business Development who will lead the development of our business outside of the United States, with an initial focus in China and Japan. The person in this role will build a world-class commercial team and leverage existing internal resources to develop and implement a strategy to bring our game changing technology to patients outside the US.
Reporting to the EVP, Global Sales and Marketing, the Vice President International Business Development will develop and implement a vision and the strategy for our expansion into Asia Pacific. Working with internal colleagues and external resources, the strategy will bring together all aspects of the business expansion including regulatory, sales, marketing & distribution, medical education and legal.
- Build and lead an APAC-centric team to implement the strategies and tactics that lead to growth, market development and profitability of the company.
- Formulate and conduct market intelligence research to understand market opportunity and business targets. Establish, define and maintain a strong competitive position through tactical observations of key marketing/business opportunities.
- Set strategic direction based on market dynamics and business goals.
- Maintain in-depth understanding of the disease state, product, competitors, marketplace, related medical areas and regulatory guidelines.
- Develops the strategy for Key Opinion Leader (KOL) advocacy plans to build and maintain critical relationships and knowledge management.
- Determine sales and distribution strategies for China and Japan.
- Develop strategies for managing the reimbursement processes for China and Japan.
- Develop and implement regional strategies for appropriate global lifecycle management.
- Plans and develops programs and participates in medical congresses, expert meetings and other medical activities.
- Maintains budget responsibility for APAC programs.
- Broad international experience in general management, sales, marketing and medical education.
- 15 years of progressive in-country and cross-country experience in the medical device industry in the APAC region, preferably in a similarly situated role in a small or mid-size company.
- Experience in product launches in China and Japan.
- In-depth knowledge of sales and distribution strategies for China and Japan.
- In-depth knowledge of reimbursement processes for China and Japan.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English (Fluency in Mandarin Chinese preferred), including strong formal presentation skills.
- Experience working with US-based cross functional teams.
- Strong interpersonal skills commensurate with the need to effectively manage teams of peers and to work closely with both external physicians/scientists and numerous in-house support groups.
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality and integrity, represent the company’s high ethics, moral behavior, and professionalism.
- A genuine care for patients and their families.
- Must have a roll-up-your sleeves mentality and a passion for getting things done, as well as the ability to learn quickly.
- High proficiency in problem solving ability and strong scientific analytical skills.
- Willingness/Ability to travel up to 50-60% as required
What We Offer You:
- A collaborative work environment with colleagues who care about each other and the success of their organization
- A workplace where you are treated fairly, compensated competitively, and can learn and develop your skills
- A chance to join an industry which is saving lives and changing the shape of healthcare
- A very fun and supportive environment in a fast-growing organization where there is never a dull moment