Motif is a next-gen investing company that uses breakthrough technology and data science to build innovative investment products for individuals, institutions and advisors. We’re a team of thinkers, creators and builders solving some of the most interesting and complex challenges in the finance and technology space.
Our award-winning brokerage platform allows individuals to intuitively invest in portfolios of stocks built around themes, investing styles or multi-asset models. For our institutional clients, we build data-driven custom indices that can be deployed in a range of financial products including SMAs, ETFs, and structured notes. Today, over 350,000 investors trust Motif with their investing, and we are proud to include Goldman Sachs, J.P. Morgan and US Bank as clients.
Our investors include Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan Chase, and a number of Tier 1 Silicon Valley venture capital firms. Board Members include former Securities Exchange Commission Chairman Arthur Levitt and former Boston Consulting Group Chairman & CEO Carl Stern.
Motif is a FINRA registered broker-dealer and parent company of an affiliated SEC-registered institutional investment advisor.
Motif’s headquarters are based in San Mateo, California.
This is an opportunity for a world class Software Quality Assuranceprofessional to help us develop our next generation personal investing platform. You will own the functional test planning, preparation and execution for web and native mobile applications as part of the Quality Assurance team within Engineering. The ideal candidate understands the Software Development Lifecycle well and has a proven track record of success in an agile, fast paced environment. You will use your QA expertise to identify the universe of functional test scenarios, and to prioritize and execute them effectively and on schedule. A qualified candidate must be a strong self-starter with a passion for knowledge and ability to understand investing concepts, as well as be an advocate in improving the customer’s experience.
- Learn the ins and outs of equity and crypto-assets trading at Motif as experienced by our customers on the web and in mobile applications
- Review and analyze business requirements and technical design to identify the universe of test scenarios/cases and prioritize them for execution
- Estimate test preparation and execution efforts as part of Sprint planning
- Document test plans and results in Jira / Confluence
- Execute the tests and communicate status and/or escalate blocking issues to the QA lead/manager
- Collaborate with other engineers, product owners, and designers to identify and solve challenging problems
- Focus on fast, iterative, & agile development
- Engage in our business goals as well as the underlying technology
- BS, or equivalent work experience, in Computer Science, Math, or related technical field
- 2+ years of recent experience excelling in an Agile Quality Assurance role
- Experience with functional end-to-end application testing for web and mobile applications across operating systems and platforms
- Comfortable with common test tools to expose errors and perform basic diagnostics and environment setup (SQL queries, UNIX shell, Git Repository, AWS Console, etc.)
- Excited to work within a small, dynamic, and fast-paced team environment where your individual results matter to everyone
- Strong capabilities of observation, analysis, synthesis
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Candidates with retail investment, banking, or finance background preferred
Technologies we use:
- Infrastructure: AWS (and non-cloud hosted computing)
- Datastores: MySQL, DynamoDB, Redshift, S3
- Testing automation framework: Selenium Webdriver, Appium, REST
- Workflow tools: Jira / Confluence, Bitbucket, Jenkins, Testrail, Slack
- Functional Test Coverage: Web browser, mobile browser, mobile applications for iOS and Android; customer facing and back office