Want to help people get the financial protection they need — and feel confident in their choices? Policygenius is a NYC-based tech startup that makes it easy to compare and buy all types of insurance online. Since 2014, we’ve become the nation's leading insurance marketplace, raising over $52 million of venture capital and helping more than 5 million people get vital coverage for their families.
We're growing rapidly and looking for people with grit, great attitudes and creative problem-solving skills to join our powerhouse team. Come see why we’ve been voted one of INC's best workplaces two years in a row!
Software Engineering at Policygenius
Policygenius continues to disrupt the insurance industry by delivering innovative technology-driven experiences. Our talented yet humble software engineering team is dogma-free and experiment driven. We are relentless in our drive to reliably deliver outstanding products at scale. We are growing fast, but we can go further faster with experienced, collaborative, challenge-seeking engineers like yourself.
- Take on the development and advancement of your team's technical vision
- Work with embedded product and UX partners to design and deliver optimal solutions
- Coach software developers to help them realize their potential
- Create a highly technical and supportive environment for the team you lead
- Collaborate with leadership to create a technical strategy for your products and systems
- 5+ years of experience as a software engineer, designing applications and/or service-based systems
- 1+ years managing a software development team
- A proven track record of mentoring and developing the careers of software engineers
- Forged strong partnerships with product managers
- Strong communication skills and the ability to comfortably articulate your thoughts and decisions
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Significant experience in one or more of the following:
- Relational Databases
- Concurrency and multi-threading
- Event / Message driven architectures
- React or an Equivalent Web Framework
- Relational Databases
- Company-paid health, dental, vision, life & disability insurance
- 401(k) plan, FSA & commuter benefits
- Flexible PTO [for relevant roles]
- Training, mentorship and coaching from leadership
- The opportunity to grow alongside a company shaking up a big, old-fashioned industry
- Fun, diverse, open-minded coworkers
- Dog companionship
- Some fun surprises when you join… (Shhh… It’s a secret!)
Technologies You Will Use
- Google Cloud Platform: Kubernetes, Cloud SQL, Cloud Functions, PubSub, BigQuery, DataStore, and more: we keep adopting new tools as we grow!
- gRPC and REST for service interaction, GraphQL for communication for front-end data gathering.
- Our build pipeline pulls from Git to build on BuildKite and deploy Docker-based services to Kubernetes in GCP.
Policygenius currently spends much of its time using these tools, but we’re committed to working on the right tech for the job, and always open to fresh ideas, new technologies, and better ways of getting things done.