Common is the nation’s leading residential brand offering convenience and community through coliving and traditional apartments. Our signature approach to end-to-end property management and technology offerings allows us to deliver unparalleled experiences across 27 buildings, 6 cities, and over 800 members. Common is the preferred choice for both residents looking for a stress-free and all-inclusive living environment, and for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns. Launched in October 2015, we now operate homes in New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, Seattle, and Washington, D.C. and receive over 3,000 new member applications per week.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Common’s team. We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate on those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, client service representatives, and so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, and embrace a “whatever it takes” mentality to ensure our work is done and done well.
Common was founded by General Assembly co-founder Brad Hargreaves and has raised over $65MM in venture funding.
About the Role
Common is looking for an experienced and talented studio lead to join the Design and Construction Team at a director level. We are looking for an expert design manager to manage and lead our Architecture Team at an exciting stage of growth for the business. The role will be suited to a candidate who has specialized in studio management including resource planning, budgeting, project management, people management, and coaching. The ideal candidate has a background in architecture with a solid understanding of the process, a creative eye, and a love for process, order and organization. Reporting directly to the Vice President of Design and Construction, this is a rare opportunity to join a fast growing start up at a formative time.
- Leadership and management of a large team of Architects and Designers including individual and team management and development, resource planning and allocation, recruiting, hiring, and reporting
- Oversight and management of project timelines, deliverables and deadlines over multiple projects at varying stages
- Create, implement and manage effective processes to drive team success
- Close collaboration with the Creative Director of Architecture
- Perform and report within a budget
- You know how to ask for help when you need it
- Other responsibilities and requirements from time to time and based on business needs
- BA/BS Degree and qualification in Architecture
- 8+ years of professional experience
- Background in project and or studio management, with experience and understanding of property development process and client management preferred
- Experience managing a large team
- Scrappy and resourceful problem solver
- A team player with a “can do” attitude
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees and wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy and professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable and valuable health and wellness benefits for our employees such as paid vacation and sick time, medical, dental and vision insurance, Company paid life insurance, Company paid STD/LTD Insurance, FSA + HSA options, commuter transit benefits, generous paid parental leave (up to 16 weeks!) and a 401K. Additional benefits such as Company equity, paid holidays, weekly team lunches + weekly happy hours, a fully stocked kitchen, flexible working hours, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees needs are being met.
We are committed to affirmatively providing equal opportunity to all associates and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, legally protected physical or mental disability, military or veteran status or any other basis protected under applicable federal or state law.