The Director, Modeling conducts research and builds statistical models in support of our lending operations (collections, operations, and loss forecasting). The Director is responsible to provide thought leadership to the business, his peers and team members of the modeling team comprised of statisticians developing quantitative models. The Director is also expected to provide technical coaching/leadership to business analysts who use the models to develop and evolve credit or collections decision policies.
What You'll Do
- Develop statistical and machine learning models used in loss forecasting, operations, and collection strategy. Support other functions and departments on an ad hoc basis to alleviate modeling capacity constraints.
- Lead research and development efforts to explore and assess the use of diverse modeling techniques and methodologies to support solving credit and operations needs in pioneering fashion.
- Maintain and enhance existing suite of loss forecasting models which are used by the loss forecasting team to derive quarterly forecasts. Manage quarterly model monitoring backtesting process for loss forecasting models.
- Fulfill leadership responsibilities as applicable which include assisting with sourcing and hiring talented modeling team members, providing ongoing coaching and feedback, recognizing and developing team members, identifying and managing risks, and collaborating with leaders across the organization to ensure alignment with model management.
- Facilitate communication and documentation on major modeling and credit policy initiatives.
- Regularly interact and help manage ongoing relationships with Credit Policy leadership, Model Risk Management, Loss Forecasting, Internal Audit, Investor team members, Finance, Compliance, executive management and related Committees to ensure communication of critical information in a timely manner.
- Ensure an efficient infrastructure for model development, documentation, implementation, and validation.
- Evaluate models and communicate strengths and limitations of models; ensure credit and operations strategy teams understand appropriate uses of models.
- Manage change management of production models.
- Set agenda for continuous evolution of tools and innovations including new data sources and modeling techniques.
- 7+ years of experience in consumer credit portfolio risk management, credit strategy and decision science; 4+ years of experience leading modeling teams
- Master's degree or higher in a quantitative discipline
- Experience with machine learning model development
- 2+ years of Natural Language Processing (NLP) experience
- Experience leading complex initiatives involving cross-functional stakeholders both internal and external.
- Ability to communicate clearly and precisely on technical and business topics across all levels of management.
- Proven ability to influence and partner with stakeholders and business leaders.
- Experience with consumer banking regulatory model documentation and validation procedures.
LendingClub is an equal opportunity employer and dedicated to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, pregnancy status, veteran status, or disability status. We believe that a variety of perspectives will make our teams and business stronger as we work together to transform the traditional banking system.