Common is the nation’s leading residential brand offering convenience and community through co-living and traditional apartments. Our signature approach to end-to-end property management and technology offerings allows us to deliver unparalleled experiences across 30 buildings and 6 cities. Common is the preferred choice for both residents looking for a stress-free and all-inclusive living environment, and for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns. Launched in October 2015, we now operate homes in New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, Seattle, and Washington, D.C. and receive over 4,000 new member applications per week.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Common’s team. We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, client service representatives, and so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-starters, and embrace a “whatever it takes” mentality to ensure our work is done and done well.
Common was founded by General Assembly co-founder Brad Hargreaves and has raised over $65MM in venture funding.
About the Role
Common is seeking an Interior Architect to join our Design and Construction Team to create homes for shared living. The position will require the candidate to provide Architectural services to our partners through concept mood boards, construction drawings, technical specifications, and sketch renderings. The ideal candidate will be comfortable in an evolving, fast-paced startup environment. This is an opportunity for a talented thought leader to help conceptualize and execute better housing across multiple cities at a large scale.
Architecture at Common is unique in that we are the industry experts in shared living. We believe that through thoughtful design we can foster a living experience that is convenient, flexible, beautiful, and builds community. The role will require a high level of autonomy and will involve a combination of technicality, project management, and production. The candidate is expected to have strong technical knowledge of architecture and construction industry standards. They should also be familiar with general zoning, cost estimation, specifications, schedules, and contract management.
This is an excellent opportunity to join an exciting start up at an early stage, as your work will have a meaningful and significant impact on both the member experience and the formation of future processes at Common. You will report directly to the Senior Manager of Interior Architecture and work closely with peers in the Design and Construction Team. You will work side-by-side with the Interior Designer and Photo Art Director to ensure the continuity of our strong brand aesthetics. You will learn the ins and outs of residential design across multiple cities and multiple scales. With success, your role will expand as Common continues to scale.
- Developing graphic standards and business processes from scratch.
- Production and management of deliverables: drawing sets, concept mood boards, specifications, and construction administration.
- Providing technical advice on specifications and construction details.
- Building a library of finish and fixture selections
- Project and account management and coordination between owners, architects, and contractors with excellent customer service.
- Manage, coordinate and execute multiple projects at once, including architectural level documentation and coordination with clients and consultants.
- Comfortable managing all client expectations, internal/external team communication, oversight, and mentorship of Junior Interior Architects.
- Directly responsible for oversight, and delivery of design documents at all stages of the interior architectural process.
- Ensures that project design intent is on brand and follows architectural best practices.
- Master’s Degree in Architecture or Interior Architecture required.
- 2-4 years of professional experience in an architecture/interior design firm required.
- Work Samples must demonstrate experience in production and management of drawing sets and specification manuals.
- Work Samples must demonstrate experience and familiarity with finishes, materials and fixtures.
- Sharp eye for interior design and finishes required.
- Candidate must be detail-oriented and comfortable supporting ideas with both qualitative and analytical reasoning.
- Candidate must be very organized and be able to multi-task across large number of projects. Must be able to prioritize and organize against near and long-term goals effectively.
- Candidate must have a talent for customer service and client management.
- Candidate must be a continuous learner who enjoys researching, testing and implementing best practices.
- Quick adaptation to an expanding variety of platforms, apps, and workflows in a fast-paced startup environment required.
- Candidate must be a direct and proactive communicator who can be independent but ask questions when needed.
- Proficiency in Rhino, Excel, Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign required, Revit experience is preferred but not required.
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees and wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy and professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable and valuable health and wellness benefits for our employees such as paid vacation and sick time, medical, dental and vision insurance, Company paid life insurance, Company paid STD/LTD Insurance, FSA + HSA options, commuter transit benefits, generous paid parental leave (up to 16 weeks!) and a 401K. Additional benefits such as Company equity, paid holidays, weekly team lunches + weekly happy hours, a fully stocked kitchen, flexible working hours, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees needs are being met.
We are committed to affirmatively providing equal opportunity to all associates and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, legally protected physical or mental disability, military or veteran status or any other basis protected under applicable federal or state law.