LendingClub (NYSE: LC) was founded in 2007 under the belief that a technology and data-driven marketplace can improve the way people access and invest in credit, creating value for both sides. Since then, we've helped millions of Americans take control of their debt, pursue their dreams, and invest in their future – all in a fair, transparent, and affordable way. Today we’re America’s largest online credit marketplace, facilitating billions of dollars in loans annually, and we’re leading the governance of a new industry by developing ethical, responsible ways to bring greater value and better opportunities to our members. Everyone deserves a better financial future and our team is committed to making that a reality.
About the Role
LendingClub’s Legal Department is seeking an Assistant General Counsel, Investor Sales and Execution. This attorney will be the primary partner to the Investor Group sales and execution team and support other investor-client related initiatives. You have outstanding professional judgment and excellent communication, interpersonal, transactional, negotiation and drafting skills. You have an ability to anticipate and deliver on the needs of a dynamic and creative business, be comfortable working with cross-functional teams and have the flexibility to manage a wide range of projects.
What You'll Do
• You will be the primary partner to the Investor Group’s sales and execution team, including their capital markets, loan sales, and marketing groups. You will lead the team in drafting and negotiating agreements, deal management, developing new products and purchasing arrangements, and handling other general corporate work relating to investor relationships;
• You will work closely with VPs and members of the executive team to innovate, create new products and support growth of the investor business.
• Analyze, interpret and monitor complex provisions in corporate agreements to ensure compliance and consistency;
• Provide day-to-day legal advice and support on marketing, contract management, accounting and compliance requirements;
• Assist internal stakeholders with responses to external inquiries, including due diligence, client and regulatory requests;
• Develop strong, collaborative partnerships and lead key cross-functional efforts with LendingClub’s operations, finance and external reporting teams; and
• Escalate issues, as appropriate, to the Vice President of Legal collaboratively to identify and share potential concerns and ideas with Legal Department members.
- J.D. and State Bar member in good standing;
- 9+ years of corporate transactional experience, including foundational training in a law firm;
- Strong drafting, negotiating and analytical skills;
- Familiarity with legal work supporting deal-making;
- Ability to quickly understand the business’s needs in a dynamic industry;
- Ability to collaborate effectively with business teams, Legal Department colleagues, and other internal groups to efficiently develop solutions and deliver results;
- Capability to develop positive relationships with internal partners (including senior company executives) and external customers;
- Excellent business and legal judgment;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Desire to pitch in and to learn new areas of the business and legal practice;
- Propensity to thrive in a fast-paced environment and successfully manage aggressive deadlines with minimal supervision;
- Comfortable with an innovative, disruptive, test and learn culture;
- Strong creative problem-solving skills
- Impeccable integrity;
- Effective team management skills; and
- Promotes and supports company policies, procedures and cultural attributes.
- Experience with securities laws and regulations, including the ’33 Act and the ’34 Act, and with capital markets transactions, including securitizations;
- Experience with fintech, technology, banking, or financial services companies;
- Legal experience in-house and/or in government, in addition to private practice, is a plus;
- Ability to relate to and communicate effectively with employees at all levels of the business; and
- Agile self-starter with a “default to action” mentality.
LendingClub is an equal opportunity employer and dedicated to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, pregnancy status, veteran status, or disability status. We believe that a variety of perspectives will make our teams and business stronger as we work together to transform the traditional banking system.